+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the "myth" of the wealthy fly fishermen

Hybrid View

Default the "myth" of the wealthy fly fishermen

from "Pennsylvania Angler and Boater" magazine March/April 2013
    discussing the newly designated "Laurel Highlands Trout Trail"

"The trail most specifically targets fly anglers because of the demographics they represent" said Murty. (Monty Murty, President of Trout Unlimited Forbes Trail Chapter and Pennsylvania's representative on its national council.) Research done by the Recreational Fishing and Boating Foundation and the Outdoor Foundation revealed freshwater anglers most commonly earn between $25,000 and $49,000 per year. When you look at fly anglers in particular though, they earn $100,000 on average.
    A United States Fish and Wildlife Service study additionally found that trout anglers tend to be more educated (?!?!) and spend more on things like transportation, guide services and equipment annually than other anglers.
    "Once people start to see the demographics of fly fishing, they start to think wow, these are the people we should be marketing to," said Murty.

Just passin' it on.

He's been smokin dope to juggle those figures.

"Average" can be a very misleading statistic. It does not take many very high paid angler to balance out a whole lot of lower paid anglers. And I suspect a higher percentage of highly paid folks are attracted to fly fishing than to bait fishing.

Blog Entries

I earn that much. Not in a year, mind, but... eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    ...When you look at fly anglers in particular though, they earn $100,000 on average.....
    I only want to know two things:

1) What's this person smoking?

2) Where can I get some of it?

I know I sure don't make $100K/year.........

Hi All,

With his income, Ted Turner, and a few similar folks, can raise the income average of a lot of us.

In reality though, fly fishermen tend to be older guys, and older guys do tend to have a little higher incomes on the average. I have doubts about whether it is that much higher though.

One added thought, besides being more highly educated, they should also mention that we are better looking......well maybe?

Regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 03-16-2013 at 03:08 AM.

I think oldfrat is on the mark. If, for example, you have 9 fly anglers earning nothing and 1 fly angler earning $1M, that's an average of $100K. I'm sure the typical or median fly angler earns much less than $100K. But I'd also imagine that fly fishing has more than our share of high income anglers compared to other forms of angling.

Well shoot, I'm going to feel bad about distorting that average when I win the Powerball tomorrow night...

Blog Entries

I used to think there were more high income fly anglers than others as well. That was until I got the batch of orders for custom baitcast and spinning rods that has come in over the last couple of months. These are pricing out right up there with the fly rods.

That said, when I got into fly fishing I discovered it could be every bit as expensive as golf if not more so. I am very glad I chose fishing over golf, though. Rods are a lot more fun to build than putters.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I thought fly fishing was the cure for wealth.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

+ Reply to Thread