Thread: Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Threaded View

1. Default Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Sport fishing column for March 18 to 25, 2013

The oldest tradition in sport fishing is competition. Competition dates back to our hunter gather ancestors, when the best fisherman not only had more fish than he and his family could eat; his skill also earned him a respected position as one of the chief providers for his tribe. In this sense competition is good, inspiring a person to always make their best effort, while striving to do better. A problem with competition arises when human vanity enters the picture and a respected position moves from being viewed as an honor, to that of a personal possession. I believe this is what happened in British Isles during the Middle Ages when Gillies (Gaelic for guides) began transforming their success at angling into both a profitable and prestigious profession. I believe it was during this time that these top anglers began instituting prejudices in equipment, species of quarry, and styles of fishing. These prejudices carry over to this day; and are displayed when anglers square off in heated debates over which style of fishing, or species of fish, provide the best sport.

You may think I am a bit jaded when it comes to competitive fishing and you are right. I don't see anything wrong with winning a competition and taking home prizes, we all can make good use of those blessings. It is the one-upmenship and bragging I have observed, (by some not all) that I object too. I believe a true sportsman is better than that. Sportsmanship in fishing is about catching fish, not bragging over how many more we caught then the other guy, or how much bigger our fish are. I believe the true competition in sport fishing is competing with yourself, striving to do better then you did last year and even better next year, while still enjoying the process.

The Report

If we can get some sun this coming weekend, our lower mainland lakes wil be fishing fair to well. Try a slow troll or retrieve, close to shore: Bloodworm, Chironomid, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Big Black, Doc Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River sloughs and backwaters are good for cutthroat and dolly varden. For cutthroat Try: Rolled Muddler, Professor, Anderson Stone, Black Stone, Zulu, American Coachman, Flesh Fly, or Chez Nymph. For dolly varden try large (size #4 to 2) Eggo, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Tied Down Minnow, Roller Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Big Black, Kaufmann Stone, or Flesh Fly.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat and rainbow. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Black Gnat, Souboo, Zulu, or Renegade.

The Chehalis River is fair to good for steelhead, and rainbow. For steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Kaufmann Stone, Polar Shrimp, GP, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, or Steelhead Spratley.

The Vedder River is good for steelhead, rainbow, dolly varden, and cutthroat.
    Last edited by fishingnewsman; 03-22-2013 at 04:34 PM.