+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon Boats

Default Pontoon Boats

We have some creeks locally that run thru private property and are pretty much not accessible. We also have a seven mile stretch of the Potomac River that is too shallow for most boats. I've been looking at the pontoon boats in Cabelas catalog thinking they would be just the ticket. Anybody use one that would be willing to share pros/cons? Thanks.

When you say shallow, how shallow do you mean and what use do you want from the boat?

I've seen bass boats and wide bodied johnboats both with jet drives get through some pretty shallow mud flats.

I have a Fish Cat 9. I use it primarily on tail waters. It drafts about 6" when loaded with my 200# and about 30# of stuff.

For slow moving water it is great. It would be tough to fish fast water and controll the boat at the same time. It tends to spin in the wind which can sometimes be a hassle.

The best thing I have found is that if you can stay in water about 18" deep you can sit on the seat and controll your orientation by slight adjustments with your feet. I have not tried fins yet.

While I wouldn't use it on every stretch of water, it sure is handy on the ones that have enough room for you to manouver.

I have a Water Skeeter and love it. I tend to use it as sort of a taxi mostof the time since trying to row, keep yourself oriented in the right direction to cast and fishing all at the same time is a bit intense for my fishing pleasure. I like to float on swifter bodies of water from one wading area to another. Then I anchor or tie off to a tree and get out and fish before moving on. I have fished pretty extensively from it on lakes and fins are definitely the ticket there.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

On moving water the pontoon boat will work like a charm. Inless the water is real skinny, get the fins. They are the only way to go with a boat of this type. Unless I'm trying to get through a stretch of water or cover a lot of ground (not fishing) I never even touch the oars. You will be able to keep yourself in the right location for fishing without any problem at all.
    Remember when your rowing it's reall tough to cast. With the fins you don't have that problem.

Now to your question of a boat. I have a Scadden boat (not the one that Cabelas sells) and I love the thing. It's damn near bullet proof. One of my friends has the one that Cabelas sells and he likes it a lot. His model allows him to stand up while he's fishing which can be great if you have problems casting when your sitting down. I don't care for that feature since it's hard to do wearing fins (see above). I think that it really comes down to budget. Look at the warranty and see what makes sense to you.

Kevin

This might work for you Dave...

I've got my eye on an Outcast pontoon called Cougar...[I think it is the same one I see in the Feather-Craft flier that came today called the Oncilla... the Oncilla has fewer bells and whistles].

Anyway there are twin tubes on each side so it has a wider footprint and is supposed to track better and draw less water to go in shallower water.

It's appealing ...anyone had any experience?

I too have a Scadden and can float in 4" of water with my feet on the pegs. Flies throught the water with the oars.

I will not make any recommendations, but, ask that you look at a Hobie Cat 75. I own one and really enjoy it. Solid polyethelene(sp) pontoons(never have to inflate or deflate to use or adjust for heat or cold)and only weighs 44 pounds and sits high in the water. It will cost more though, but, in the long run, I think it will last longer. [url=http://www.hobiecat.com:2ba3f]www.hobiecat.com[/url:2ba3f]
    Just submitted for you to research your options.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I like my Creek Company ODC 816. I installed an anchor system on mine. I have fins but rarely use them as when I row to a spot I want to fish, I just drop my anchor (12lb.). I may row up a canal and drift-fish back down or anchor at some spots. I also added a rod holder on mine. I put a small cooler on my cargo deck for drinks and to keep fish in and I have a PVC strap holster for my fish/depth finder sonar unit. Very portable, quick set-up and take-down. Even with all my added stuff, I can get on the water in about 15 minutes.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Guys, thanks for all of the replies and great information. Now all I have to do is pick out one. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread