+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not to bore you, but.............

http://www.flyline.com/fly_patterns/...ies/ec_caddis/

Ralph Cutter uses a similar scheme in his Emergent/Cripple Caddis (E/C Caddis), including the antron/zelon shuck.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

Mad,
    Thanks. Again, in that pattern, the ENTIRE abdomen is the darker color.

Didn't notice...huh...way I tie 'em, I start further back with the color change...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I tie Klinks with pheasant tail abdomens and olive or sulphur colored thoraxes. Barr's PMD emerger has a split body as well.

Don't many mayflies emerge from the shuck about 2/3 of the way "up" the shuck from the tail so, theoretically, there should be some shuck material at the very head of the fly, too?

Joe

There are some interesting pictures of natural mayfly emergers (and lots of other bugs) at troutnut.com. i believe that duns can get stuck at any point during the emergence process, so you might have a whole dun with a whole shuck trailing behind or half a dun with a half a shuck, or whatever -- they aren't all going to be the same. I think the one that caught Byron attention, since it was shared here before and looks a lot like his sparkle dun, was this one:
    picture_100_large.jpg

That's a great picture and a great website. Looking at that picture (if I'm seeing it right), and you wanted to imitate that phase (or that particular bug, anyway), there should be PMD color hanging off the back of the hook, shuck material at the abdomen of the fly, and then PMD again at the thorax. Again, if I'm seeing the colors right.

Joe

Blog Entries

John,
    Great picture. Not sure I've seen it before. It IS what I am trying to imitate though.
    Thanks

The reason I tie the dark color only part ways up the abdomen is that if you add the trailing shuck (zelon material) you would have too much shucK in total - if you went all the way to the thorax.

John,
    Went back and tied one on a size 16 emerger hook. I prefer fishing the more "upright" versions on a std. dry fly hook, but these are representative of a slightly less emerged insect.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-11-2013 at 08:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread