+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not to bore you, but.............

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Not to bore you, but.............

I would like to know if you know anyone who ties what I call my bi-color PMD Sparkle Dun?

It seems logical that if you are tying an emergent or momentarily crippled dun, it would have a trailing shuck and a bit of remaining shuck on the abdomen.

I mentioned this pattern to Craig Mathews of Blue Ribbon flies. He said they have been tying a similar pattern for years, although I have personally never seen any before.

Would appreciate information on this.

Thanks,
    Byron

I don't think I've seen it on a Sparkle Dun. However, I routinely do this with other emerger patterns that I intend to fish in the film.

I use a lot of Ross Mueller's Fuzzball emergers (a Snowshoe Hare wing emerger) and regularly tie them with PT or other material to match the nymph color and thorax material to match the dun color.

The Klinkhammer is another fly that seems to frequently be tied with a body to match the nymph and a thorax to match the dun.

Another emerger that's popular in my area is the Shillinglaw Emerger. This is usually fished through the water column (rather than strictly in the film), but it is also tied with different colors for the body and thorax. Here's a Shillinglaw Emerger I tied for our Light Hendrickson hatch that is similar in color scheme to the sparkle dun you posted.
    PC080029.JPG

Blog Entries

Nice fly John. Appreciate the comment.
    The Sparkle Dun is the first pattern I believe to have been tied specifically as a dun on the surface with a trailing shuck as opposed to "tails".
    Even Harrop's Last Chance Cripple PMD continues the nymphal abdomen color to a portion of his abdomen.

This isn't my tie (I think mine are tied a bit better), but here's the PMD emerger pattern that I've been using for many years, and it's often very effective. You'll notice similarities to your pattern.

Last summer I fished this pattern on a Montana river during a PMD hatch when the water was clear and relatively low, and could see trout after trout confidently rise and sip the fly in. Fly fishing just doesn't get any better than that! In one case, I fished several different patterns, unsuccessfully, to a large trout that was rising above a good sized rock in the middle of the river. Then, I tied on that PMD Emerger and the trout went at least 3 feet out of his feeding lane to suck that fly in.

John

Are there other flies that are a different color on the thorax and abdomen? The Pmd's are so obviously different colors, but any others are mostly much more subtle, aren't they?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Are there other flies that are a different color on the thorax and abdomen? The Pmd's are so obviously different colors, but any others are mostly much more subtle, aren't they?
    I would agree. I think the color variations are perhaps greatest with the PMD's.
    The other insect I use comparaduns primarily for are flavs. These I tie with less significant color variation for the back of the abdomen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    This isn't my tie (I think mine are tied a bit better), but here's the PMD emerger pattern that I've been using for many years, and it's often very effective. You'll notice similarities to your pattern.

Last summer I fished this pattern on a Montana river during a PMD hatch when the water was clear and relatively low, and could see trout after trout confidently rise and sip the fly in. Fly fishing just doesn't get any better than that! In one case, I fished several different patterns, unsuccessfully, to a large trout that was rising above a good sized rock in the middle of the river. Then, I tied on that PMD Emerger and the trout went at least 3 feet out of his feeding lane to suck that fly in.

John
    John, it looks like that pattern has the entire abdomen of the same material/color?

+ Reply to Thread