My friend Dan Braun was trout fishing in Central Richland County and stumbled upon these weird "large" tracks. The number of toes just didn't wash with any known big animal in the area. With some research and asking around I believe I determined what made the tracks and the reason for the odd number of toes.

While they are stalking something, wolves are very deliberate and slow in their movement. They typically step with their back paws right into the front footprints to minimize the sound created by numerous steps breaking through the crusty snow.

Wolves typically walk in a straight line and don't wander like dogs do. One of my friends live in the area the photos were taken in. He is a predator hunter and while coyote calling he has called in three large wolves. One has a tracking radio collar. He believes a pack has established itself in central Richland County.

I don't know about you, but the more I learn the more scared I get. A large wolf in stalk mode on my trout streams makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and I now will be listening much closer when I go fishing.

Photos by: Dan Braun