+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-quill Quill Flies

Default Non-quill Quill Flies

Folks,

I'm looking to tye some Blue Quills and Quill Gordon's for an upcoming trip to North Central PA. I'm covered on most patterns but I'd like to have some Blue Quills and Quill Gordon's in the boxes in case these hatches are coming off. My dilemma is I'm not a fan of quill patterns, mostly for durability issues. I'm looking at alternatives and would like some input from you all on what you might recommend.

For Blue Quills I'm leaning toward a dark grayish/mahogany in a poly dubbing blend for the abdomen and thorax.

For the Quill Gordon's a dark tan with some gray tones in a poly dubbing blend for the abdomen and thorax.

Just trying to see if I'm working in the right ball park for the non-quill, quill patterns. Any feedback or recommendations would be gladly accepted.

Thanks
    Joe Bertolini

You can use flex floss or a similar produt. There is a Big Hole fly, Purple Haze, that uses purple flex floss for the body

ive seen quill gordons tied with moose mane for the body, much like the way a mosquito is tied. It doesnt look at nice but it works. Also, you could just give the body and the underbody a coat of head cement or fleximent as you tie.

Biot bodied flies have worked well for me for these hatches (this one's a baetis but you can adjust body/hackle color to suit your needs:

for me, quicker and easier to tie than quill bodies.

Regards,
    Scott

Joe,
    email me your address and I'll send you some flies tied with alternate methods to quills. I use dubbings, peccary hairs, flosses, anything that will make hard segments.
    FFC@tribcsp.com

AlanB Guest

Hi Joe,
    You can make alternatives to quill lots of ways. Even a darkish tan thread ribbed with very dark brown thread flattened will do it. Some biots have a translucent edge to them. If you make a dark under body to show through that will make a good alternative.

The method I use to improve durability of quill bodies is to use white thread to tie the fly. Run the thread along the hook shank tying in tail and quill as you work to the bend. Wind the quill leaving the thread at the bend. Flatten the thread and wind over the quill. If you like you can varnish the body then but it isn't needed. When you put floatant on the fly or just get it wet the thread over the body will vanish. (This will not work with bonded threads like Uni, you need one that will flatten).

Cheers,
    A.

I coat quill bodies with head cement and never had a durability issue.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    I coat quill bodies with head cement and never had a durability issue.
    The original Catskill tyers cross wrapped with fine wire or thread. A white silk was used by the Dettes and basically becomes invisible after the body is coated with head cement.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Scott - I've used biots on several style of flies and like the results. I'm sure I have a color to match Quill Gordon's but I'm not certain I have anything to match Blue Quills.

Don - I appreciate you kind offer. Very nice of you to offer.

Everyone else - Thanks for the various recommendation regarding ways to re-enforce quill bodies (counter wrapped thread, wire, varnish, head cement, etc.)

What I'm really trying to get an answer to is the question of "color".

Do you think I'm on the right track with the color options I'm proposing:

For Blue Quills I'm leaning toward a dark grayish/mahogany in a poly dubbing blend for the abdomen and thorax.

For the Quill Gordon's a dark tan with some gray tones in a poly dubbing blend for the abdomen and thorax.

Let me know your thought on this. Your opinions regarding these colors would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alan - Yes, I've considered thread bodies. I think Blue Quills in the size 18 range are very do able this way. Thanks.
    Joe Bertolini

+ Reply to Thread