+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Budget backing suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
    You can get a 500 yard spool of backing from Bass Pro for $18.

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...product/25198/
    I've been unable to find a better price. This is what I spool on my reels. I've had fish test it out a few times in the last year - on my 3 weight, 6 weight, 7 weight, and 8 weight. It still winds up costing about $10 after tax to fill up a saltwater spool. Make sure that if you use some other subsitute you don't install something that has enough stretch to it that you crush your spool. I've heard of this happening using mono as backing, but haven't witnessed it myself.

"GREAT WATER" Green Dot Braided Dacron Polyester - Trolling and Sufing Line - 12/50 yard spools: http://www.masontackle.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=60

All it costs is an email to find out if twelve (12) 50 yard spools really does only cost $ 4.24 . . . and even I could probaly turn that blistering first run of an angry Bluegill with 50 yards of 20# backing at my disposal . . . 8^)

I found some ice fishing line on sale and it works just fine and it was inexpensive.

Thanks to all but one for your helpful input. I have decided upon the backing from Bass Pro. I seldom shop there, but that's less than HALF what it would cost me locally.

Now for Mr Nosy & Ignorant.....I can buy whatever backing I choose. I just think it foolish to pay $10.00 to $12.00 for 100 yards of backing, or $50.00 for 500 yards without first researching alternatives, especially when ONE of those reels requires 175 yards of backing. FYI, I DO utilize high quality backing on my other outfits.
    Not that it's any of your business, but I have 7 Grandchildren, all of whom fish with me & have learned or are learning to fly fish. I have also introduced 3 families from Church (including children) to fly fishing. I supply the gear when we go, hence numerous similar outfits.
    I don't often get like this, but my thread started with a simple question & one reply really P*ssed me off. It was totally out of line. If you don't like the question, don't reply & please don't EVER judge my motives or belittle my questions!...I neither do that to others nor will I tolerate it being done to me.
    Mike
    BTW, many thanks to those who responded earlier in defense of this thread. YOU are the folks FAOL is all about. Kudos.
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hi Ohiotuber,

I found vintage new stock bait casting line on Ebay. They appear to be one spool attached to the next, like backing, 50 yard spools. One I saw was 600 yards of 30 lbs test for about $27, buy it now free shipping. I also saw 9 spools of three different weights, with the current bid of about $5, but shipping was extra.

I also found some by just typing in casting line.

With either of the above options you should be able to get lots of backing fairly cheap. If it sells before you get there, I wuold guess it will come up again. One guy wanted $225 (or best offer) for two spools of vintage line....good luck to him on that....a little steep for backing by my tastes.

For what it's worth, there was also 3/16" anchor line. One spool of it would be backing for a lot of fly reels. The problem I saw was if you ever got into the backing, it might be interesting to see what happens when it hits the guides. (Just kidding.)

Regards,

Gandolf

Mike -you're a good man.

All the best.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread