+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help Planning a Montana Fly Fishing Trip

Hybrid View

Default Help Planning a Montana Fly Fishing Trip

I am trying to plan a fly fishing trip to Montana for the last 2 weeks in June. I would like to do some non-guided wade fishing in the creeks and rivers of Montana. I like secluded spots but will be towing a 20' trailer. Any info on the hot spots and must do's would be appreciated.
    Thanks!!!

Montana is a huge state. You might get better responses if you indicate what part of the state you plan to visit. Just trying to be helpful here.

It is possible that a number of the rivers will still be unfishable at that time, or at least the first part of your 2 week trip, due to runoff and high water levels from snow melt.

However, here are several suggestions: The Firehole River in Yellowstone National Park fishes well at that time of year. The Maidson River dowstream of Hebgen Dam (not far from West Yellowstone, and the West Entrance to Yellowstone Park), and the Missouri River below Holter Dam, in the vacinity of Wolf Creek and Craig, MT.

These rivers generally run clear at that time of year, there are many access points for wade fisherman, plus a variety of campgrounds (both private and public) in the areas.

On the Yellowstone River where I'm located, between the north entrance to Yellowstone National Park and Livingston, MT, the fishing can be fantastic at that time of the year, but it is "iffy" whether the water levels will have subsided enough to fish by then.

John
    Last edited by John Rhoades; 03-09-2013 at 01:52 PM.

"Secluded" "last two weeks of June" and especially "creeks" don't mix well. The waters John mentioned are all famous and will be crowded. Most mountain creeks except maybe in the Bitterroot area will still be too high to fish safely/effectively. If you are really eager to hit up mountain creeks and don't care about famous stuff, I actually suggest the last two weeks of August. Last two weeks of July for a mix of bigger rivers and creeks.

There's a tentative season forecast on the news page of my website for many waters around Yellowstone which should give you an idea of what to expect as far as runoff. Most areas clear slightly earlier than the Yellowstone region, but June is still spring (hence spring runoff) just about everywhere in MT except the tailwaters and a few lower elevation freestones.

Here is the definitive Montana map; should answer a number of questions (cracked me up):

http://chiwulff.com/2013/03/08/anoth...way-somewhere/

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 03-09-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks for the info guys. Yes the time of year might not be the best but that's the only time I can get away from work Any suggestions are appreciated!

canadianflyguy, First of all, welcome to FAOL from SoCal. New guys split the firewood and bring donuts.
    When I planned a trip to Montana, I picked July because of the runoff. Then I watched the reports on the internet as that July developed into one of the hardest runoff in years for the Yellowstone and a few other rivers. It was still raging when I was there. It's a crapshoot so if you have your dates set in stone just go and make the best of it. Heck, it's Montana. Go, fish, have fun, sightsee,eat and photograph wildlife and scenery.
    That time of the year I would make campground reservations now. It's easier to cancel reservations later than it is to get them when the time is short.
    I like the Missouri river from Craig/Wolf creek to Cascade. There are several streams in Yellowstone NP that should be fishable then, too. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread