+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Border Patrol's not stopping these migrants

Hybrid View

Default Border Patrol's not stopping these migrants

Had over 100 Swainson hawks come in for the evening roost (we're a major stop on their migration route from South America to their breeding grounds in the US and Canada). Sorry for the crummy pics but I couldn't get any closer without flushing them from the trees (which I did; luckily, they came back) and our P&S doesn't have the best optics. Right around dark a pair of Great Horned owls which have been living in these trees started hooting and most of the hawks bolted and headed off to another part of the community we're staying at. The migration's really just starting to pick up steam and should peak over the next 3 weeks so, hopefully I'll get some better pics. Pretty cool birds, when not breeding, their diet consists mainly of insects ; beautiful plumage.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 03-09-2013 at 12:00 PM.

I think it is a pretty neat thing to experience something most people never have the opportunity to see.My problem is most of the time no camera but that's OK,I capture it in spirit.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I have a couple hundred atleast Turkey Vultures that roost near me. It's a pretty impressive sight for sure.

NewTyer 1 Guest

What do those hawks look like up close? They look rather large.

Scott,

Here's the local website that monitors the Swainson migration with some much better pics and info:

http://borregohawkwatch.blogspot.com

They're pretty birds, not as big as redtails, but good-sized. They spool up in "kettles" in the morning, mixing with turkey vultures, and then head up the mountain valleys on their way northward to their breeding grounds.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott: Just a quick thanks for your post. For years I thought that bird was a Swansons Hawk not a Swainson Hawk.

Never to old to learn.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    For years I thought that bird was a Swansons Hawk not a Swainson Hawk.
    Tim,

Now you have me wondering what was in their pot pies and Hungry Man dinners.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

" Pretty cool birds, they're insectivores (bug eaters); ..."

While they eat plenty of hoppers and such when available, it is not exactly correct to call them insectivores... A lot of ground squirrels have found they are called raptors for a reason. I have spent hundreds of hours watching them under several different sets of conditions. The only things I ever saw them eat were ground squirrels, lots of them.

Hap,

Fixed that; thanks.

Regards,
    Scott

Had 2 Swainsons directly overhead 100' apparently feeding (flying ants?) this morning. I'm guessing flying ants because I'd seen a few throughout the morning; could have been something else - the hawks appeared to partially extend their talons to grab the bugs and then reach their head down to eat; pretty cool.
    One had dark chest/light body, the other was all dark body. Forgot the camera; last time that happens.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread