+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Green Mountain

1. Default Orvis Green Mountain

What's the story with this Orvis Green Mountain line?
    I have NEVER seen it listed on their site!

I can say it's not the Orvis quality I have seen in the past.
    Rod is quite heavy and the reel too!
    Reel is very nicely made but the rod weighs like it's made of metal!!

I HOPE this isn't what we have to look forward to of Orvis when they stop making stuff in the UK!

Can anyone shed some light here?
    This GM stuff has me stumped.

------------------
    Jim Bolden Sr

I caught a Fish so big once I couldn't weigh it.
    Took a picture of it and the picture weighed 20LBS! (My Dad)

Our Wal-Mart here has the Green Mountain fly line and leaders but not the rod and reel. I purchased a WF5F fly line and gave it a try on a TFO Series 1 fly rod. The line comes with a built in loop for your leader attachment. I put the 5 weight on the TFO 8'6" 4 weight rod and it preformed beautifully. The 4 weight rod seemed to handle my style of casting better by over lining it to a 5 weight. I thought the line with built in loop connector for $20.00 was a pretty good deal and it handled great. Of course this is just my opinion. I think all the big name people will try to attract the entry level fly fisherman as a marketing tool. My 2 cents worth.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I've seen the green mountain line at the wal-mart where I live for the first time this year I think it is a more economical version of the orvis, line, I haven't tried any of the products yet because I wasn't sure how it compared with the rest of the orvis line
    FFC

Warren has it right. From what I have heard and read, Orvis is trying to get some new folks interested in flyfishing. I guess they figure if they sell outfits to 10 people, maybe one or two will enjoy it and invest in the better gear.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

5. Default

From what I hear Orvis line is made by Scientific Angler. Is this true?

------------------
    Jim Bolden Sr

I caught a Fish so big once I couldn't weigh it.
    Took a picture of it and the picture weighed 20LBS! (My Dad)

Blog Entries

If what I'm hearing is true, it's a shame they used the Green Mountain name. Back in the 80's they offered rods under that name which had quality blanks and really the same blanks as their higher priced rods with cheaper components. I've always liked Orvis, an understand the need to entice folks into the sport and stay competetive but......... Re-using that name was not a smart idea for the folks they sold rods to previously.

I was surprised to see anything with the Orvis name at Wally mart. Not only is WM a bunch of tyrants to deal with, placing product there diminishes it in the eyes of many other, non-category killer retailers, e.g., flyshops, boutique shops, etc.

FWIW, I think that the Green Mountain Hy-Flote at WM is the same quality.

how about the Green Mountain Leaders? Are they any good? I was in wally world this past weekend looking at leaders and saw for the first time the Green Mountain leaders but didn't know they were affiliated with Orvis. How do they fare?

Well, I got some leaders, float, and tippet, don't think they would have opened up a new operation just to produce, cheaper stuff, seems cost productive, anyhoo, I'll know soon,
    Just doing the math...
    PS: I don't mean the rods or reals, I think that would be easy to sub. with the set up they have, not the leader, tippet,float, I think they would have to contract that out to get cheaper, and in the long run I think that would cost them more to sale than the price..my HBO

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 15 March 2005).]
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

b'kill Jim,
    Last time I checked, Orvis lines were made by SA. In fact the "Wonderline" coating marketed by Orvis and the ingredient SA adds which they call "AST" are one and the same. Most all of the lines available in this country are made by either Cortland or SA.

I think when they first got started, even Rio lines were made by SA. Might still be, not sure.

+ Reply to Thread