+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tom Davis's Views On What Is and Is Not Tenkara Fly Fishing

Default Tom Davis's Views On What Is and Is Not Tenkara Fly Fishing

In the latest rendition of this seemingly ongoing battle, I tend to side with the views of Tom Davis and Chris Steward rather than the "Pure Tenkara Personalities. Here is a link to Tom's latest thoughts on this hotly depated but mostly meaningless topic: http://tetontenkara.blogspot.com/

The topic for me is meaningless. The only reason the topic exists as I see it is to market TenkaraUSA rods period. Daniel is the originator of this thinking and uses it to steer anyone and everyone away from rods that are not sold by him. His forum is nothing but pure marketing and I reccomend staying away from it lest you become a tenkara zombie like many there have sadly become. When I first investigated tenkara i found myself on Daniel's zombie forum (I did not know better at the time) to investigate this tenkara fishing. It did not take long a matter of a few days to say these guys are full of ****. The hubris and pomp oozed and still does there to the point I can't look anymore without getting sick. I have started a program whereby we drive by and grab cult members and throw them in a van to take them to a secluded area to de-program them that they may have the ability to see and think for themselves once again. If you would like more information on the program it is called Angels for the Reclamation of Tenkara's Lost Souls or RTLS for short. Peace and happy fishing.

JC and All, I got quite a chuckle out of your response. Although intended as toung-in-cheek I assume, I agree with nearly everything you said in the above post. Early on I also spent a lot of time on TUSA's boards but not so much any more, except to put up points that might rock their boats a little from time to time. Its not that I necessarily hold anything against the mostly uninformed and misguided people there, I believe they are mostly good at heart, but to not be able to discuss other than TUSA's rods and banning Chris from the sight killed most of my desire to participate there. However when TUSA brings out new products that may be of interest and value to all of us, I also believe the general Tenkara fly fishing public deserves to become informed. Thank you for your reply, it really made my day....Golden.

I personaly am getting tired of this argument, and believe it does more harm to us than good. We want the fly fishing community to take us seriously, and in some cases fighting to be able to fish fly fishing only waters. How can we expect other parts of the fly fishing world and companies to take us seriously if we are constantly bickering amongst ourselves and arguing over what is Tenkara? The more we argue about this the less we will be able to over come these obstacles we face. No matter where or how there is differing beliefs and ideas. There are more than one way and kind of knife to skin a cat and so it s in Tenkara and fly fishing.

I wonder about all this argument over what is acceptable and what is not. When I started flyfishing I ran into well, not problems or discrimination, just misunderstanding and ignorance. Since I live in Texas fly fishing ain't for trout it's for bass and bluegill. Needless to say most mags and web sites didn't give me much info and what I got was pretty much for begginers. After a while I got real discouraged and sort of dropped out for a while. I came back of course, I actually never left. Over the course of time I found many good resources and info. It took time to feel comfortable in my own skin so to speak. I guess you could say I don't want to go there again. Mr. Davis made the best point when he talked about the guy asking about tenkara. Why go there? So I don't think I will. I just want to fish. Does it matter if I use a cane pole or a fly rod? I do what I like because It's what I like. In the words of Jack Ellis " we march to different drummer" HOSSC

I'm pretty tired of the argument, too. But to a certain extent, I think a response does need to be made at times when the voices trying to define tenkara insist it is only one thing - "pure" tenkara. It is not just the constant bickering that is detrimental to the activity. The impression that tenkara is something singular and exclusive puts off some who might otherwise find quite a bit of joy fishing in this style. I like to think tenkara is an inclusive method of fishing, one that groups "traditional" tenkara together with all the so-called "hybrid" techniques that are emerging out there. In this regard, I suppose I share the same viewpoint as Tom Davis and Chris Stewart and many of you on this board. Inclusive should be what fishing is all about (as long as we're fishing sustainably, or course). On a different note, I might caution against being too negative toward Daniel Galhardo. I don't think he actually planned for things to go this way, or that he actually deliberately drives it. His marketing budget can't be that big. If anything, I find he is actually quite inconsistent in his view - he seems to go back and forth at times between suggesting people should "find their own tenkara" and suggesting tenkara is a specific thing. In any case, it is good to see different views of tenkara coming up on the Interwebs, and I agree Chris Stewart deserves much more positively worded support.

I am quite frankly tired of the bashing, bickering and talking by "puristss/traditionalists" down to folks who embrace "their own tenkara". As much as I love fishing with one fly in the traditional sense, I also love to drift a RS2 behind an CDC & Elk or a Copper John with a midge. We are here in the US and a method of fishing that evolved halfway around the world away will go through some adaptations in a different environment.

Enough said. It's time we all go out fishing enjoy the sport.

+ Reply to Thread