Thread: Any jig makers here?

Threaded View

Pillcaster: That guy sounds like just the ticket. I have sent him an e-mail, but no response yet.

I bought packs of the Eagle Claw Model 630 hook in sizes 1-6. The hook is slightly shorter than a 3xl streamer hook, so in practical terms they sub for #2-8 hooks for me. We do a lot of dead-drift streamer fishing on float trips, so a fly that rides upside-down is pretty critical. A jig-fly allows somewhat different presentation options than barbells and will look a LOT better with nymphs. Regular premade leadheads are all on hooks that are too short for my purposes, though I have a hole bunch I'm going to try smaller nymphs on this year.

Even if the slotted beads do work, dang they're expensive, even at commercial prices. It's good to know they will slide onto a big hook, though, since we can't use leadheads in Yellowstone Park.

I actually grew up fishing Bennett Spring in Missouri, and in MO jigs are considered flies. You ask a lot of fishermen there to see their fly boxes and probably a third will have more mini-jigs than anything else, so I have never had a stigma against them.

EDIT:
    It looks like I'll wind up using split shot or beads anyway. The jig maker can't get molds to make the jigs in weights I want. Oh well...
    Last edited by Longs for Cutts; 03-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.