+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any jig makers here?

Hybrid View

Default Any jig makers here?

I am looking to get some jigs made on some long-shank 90-degree #1-6 jig hooks I bought. I need them to be much lighter than jigs on this size hook would usually be, probably 1/64oz for the #4-6 and 1/32 for the bigger hooks. Is this possible? Anyone willing to bake some up for me in exchange for a few bucks or some flies? I would paint them myself.

For reference, I'm looking to tie some buggers and stonefly nymphs on them, so they ride upside down. Being 90-degree hooks rather than 60-degree hooks, the slotted tung bead method of making a jig-fly won't work.
    Last edited by Longs for Cutts; 03-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.

wouldn't it be easier, less troublesome, and less expensive to just use appropriately sized dumbell eyes?

Actually the slotted tungsten beads do work on the 90 degree hooks. Just put them on with the slot facing forward. Somewhat tricky on smaller hooks, but should be fine on the sizes you are using. Which hook did you settle on?

Another trick is to use the "pin" method that Phil Rowley advocates. Put a brass/tungsten bead on a sewing pin (I like brass ones that do not corrode), bind it down on top of the hook over the eye such that the hook will ride balanced, and then tie the rest of the fly. This method works quite well, but you needs to find some stout pins if you use this in moving water, because the sewing pins will shear off on rocks. I've been trying to find some stouter pins for a while, so let me know if you find some.

The lowest tech solution is to just crimp a splitshot of the appropriate weight on the end of the hook. If it falls off, just crimp on another.

Finally, Do-It Molds makes mold kits (http://www.do-itmolds.com/), so if you really want to start playing with molten heavy metals, they already have an off the shelf solution, or even blank molds if you really needs something custom (doubtful).

Jigs have been popular in the PNW for steelhead for quite some time, but they are just starting to make inroads elsewhere in fly fishing. Post your results when you find a solution, and good luck.

Ive bought jigs from this fellow
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-1-64-oz-R...item35a5b200c1

I have been very happy with his work. Maybe you can email him and see if he is interested in using your hooks or trading....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Pillcaster: That guy sounds like just the ticket. I have sent him an e-mail, but no response yet.

I bought packs of the Eagle Claw Model 630 hook in sizes 1-6. The hook is slightly shorter than a 3xl streamer hook, so in practical terms they sub for #2-8 hooks for me. We do a lot of dead-drift streamer fishing on float trips, so a fly that rides upside-down is pretty critical. A jig-fly allows somewhat different presentation options than barbells and will look a LOT better with nymphs. Regular premade leadheads are all on hooks that are too short for my purposes, though I have a hole bunch I'm going to try smaller nymphs on this year.

Even if the slotted beads do work, dang they're expensive, even at commercial prices. It's good to know they will slide onto a big hook, though, since we can't use leadheads in Yellowstone Park.

I actually grew up fishing Bennett Spring in Missouri, and in MO jigs are considered flies. You ask a lot of fishermen there to see their fly boxes and probably a third will have more mini-jigs than anything else, so I have never had a stigma against them.

EDIT:
    It looks like I'll wind up using split shot or beads anyway. The jig maker can't get molds to make the jigs in weights I want. Oh well...
    Last edited by Longs for Cutts; 03-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Longs,

I was afraid of that. They build the molds such that only a small range of hook sizes will fit them. I've modified the molds to take different hook sizes in the past, but it's not something a supplier would do unless you need a lot of jigheads.

The split shot thing works really well. If you add a drop of Gorilla Glue before you crimp it (you have to let it cure before you paint it/tie the fly), it won't come off.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I just looked at my 1/32 mold. Shank length doesn't matter, it's the eye above the bend. I took a Dremel to it and have done #4-8 that I remember. I think I did 10's for a guy a long time ago, but not sure. All I have left are regular 8's. A 2 might fit. Plain ball head, no collar. Sent you a PM.

+ Reply to Thread