I have 2 pounds of pike and 1 pound of sauger in distilled water and pickling salt in the refrigerator soaking to remove the blood.

24 hours later I will rinse the fish in distilled water and cube in to inch chunks.

- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 lb. or so northern pike fillets, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 quart distilled white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon sliced thinly
- 1-inch piece fresh horseradish, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 slices fresh ginger, about the size of a quarter
- 2 tsp. whole allspice berries
- 2 tsp. whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 cloves, whole
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced

Directions:

1. Make a brine by combining the salt with a quart of water in a Mason-type glass jar or glass bowl. Add the pike to the brine and soak for 24 hours. Drain the fish and rinse it. Add a quart of vinegar to the fish and soak for an additional 48 hours. Drain the fish, reserving one cup of the vinegar for use in the pickling solution, and refrigerate.
2. Combine the reserved cup of vinegar, a 1/2 cup of water, and the sugar in a nonreactive saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
3. In a 1-quart Mason jar, add roughly a quarter of the fish, then add some of the spices and onion; repeat with the remainder of the fish, spices, and lemon and ginger and horse radish so that the ingredients are layered and evenly dispersed. Pour the vinegar mixture into the jar. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least three days to allow the flavors to develop.

I will add a photo of pike and sauger when in the quarter mason jars.

took my sauger and pike out of the brine just now to complete pickling process. The pieces of fish plumped up while in vinegar. I cut them all in to smaller pieces and going to soak until 8pm tonight to continue process. Have the onions,lemons,horseradish, and ginger all cut in pieces in zip lock bags. I will make the brine tonight and layer with contents of zip lock bags.

bones must be gotten rid of by vinegar if I ever want Barb to eat this. Not sure if all are gone so erring on side of caution . My hands sure smell funny from all the cutting of ingredients.