Thread: Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Threaded View

1. Default Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Sport fishing column for March 11 to 18, 2013

Reading an article by Tom Travis, titled, "Tradition," got me thinking about the many habits, traditions, and prejudices we exercise in this sport. While I believe it is good to honor those who have paved the road for us, I do not suggest that we take everything said, as the gospel.

I was fortunate, although I did not see it at the time, when I was introduced to fly fishing; to be set on a road, which at that time, was much less traveled. In those days before VHS; we did not have the instant answers provided over the internet, or the visual aids of video discs. There were books available, but the long winded prose, were about as exciting to a thirteen year old boy as the Old King James Bible. So much of my early fly fishing was learned by trial, error, and what could be gleaned from the men I watched stoically casting from their boats.

As chance would have it, I did get to take a fly fishing class in the fall of 1973. As archaic as those lessons were by today's standards, it was a positive step forward. Soon after, the acquisition of a car and a regular pay check, aloud for even better learning opportunities. Frustration became the teacher who in the mid 80's drove me back to books, which by this time were easier to read. The early 90's I had become an accomplished fly tyer and rod maker; during that decade I was asked to instruct for youth fly fishing club, teach fly fishing for adult education programs and inspired to pioneer Fraser Valley High School Fly Fishing Championships. Next on the list was this weekly column, first published just before Y2K.

Did I have all the answers? Certainly not, but I did have years of trial and error, which had brought me to a place where I was catching fish consistently. When asked by my administrators what I would teach in my night school classes; I asked myself. "Of all the things I have learned over the past thirty years, what would have helped me most when I started out?" Over the next series of columns I will endeavor to share my thoughts on the habits, traditions, and prejudices I have seen displayed within this sport.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are fishing fair to good. Try a slow troll or retrieve, close to shore: Bloodworm, Chironomid, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Big Black, Doc Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River sloughs and backwaters are good for cutthroat and dolly varden. For cutthroat Try: Rolled Muddler, Professor, Anderson Stone, Black Stone, Zulu, American Coachman, Flesh Fly, or Chez Nymph. For dolly varden try large (size #4 to 2) Eggo, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Tied Down Minnow, Roller Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Big Black, Kaufmann Stone, or Flesh Fly.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat and rainbow. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Black Gnat, Souboo, Zulu, or Renegade.

The Chehalis River is fair to slow for steelhead, and rainbow. For steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Kaufmann Stone, Polar Shrimp, GP, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, or Steelhead Spratley.

The Vedder River is good for steelhead, rainbow, dolly varden, and cutthroat.
    Last edited by fishingnewsman; 03-15-2013 at 04:17 AM.