Sport fishing column for March 4 to 11, 2013

"You have to be the only person I have come across, in this province, who knows what a cased caddis is," sounded a voice from behind the counter.

I looked up from removing every cased caddis in the display of discounted flies. Watching me cherry pick through the mass of flies, set out by Fred's Tackle, at the Fraser valley Boat & Sportsman's Show, was a fellow with Art on his name tag.

"Well, there is more to fly fishing than drifting Chez Nymphs, and hanging Chironomids from a float," I responded. Handing the man one of my business cards, I continued, "Maybe this will answer some of your questions."

Looking at my card he said, "Jeff Weltz, I know of you, I've read some of your stuff."

I didn't ask questions; just smiled at the man and continued on with my search.

"How did you come to use caddis in your fishing, he asked? I use to fish with them as a kid, picking them off the rocks; it drove my Dad crazy," he continued.

I looked up again and replied, "I saw them on the rocks when I was a kid too, and always wondered what they were. As time went on, through my reading and traveling, I learned about them. A person needs to look past the borders of this province and spends some time on the other side of the Rockies or in the US, to get a more balanced view of this sport and expand their horizons."

"I know exactly what you your talking about," Art said, as proceeded to tell me about his experiences fishing Alberta.

Soon we were trading tails of our adventures throughout BC and elsewhere. Interesting who you meet at these outdoors shows; no matter which side of the counter you stand on.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are fishing well; when it's not raining (sorry about last weekend that heavy rainfall was not on the radar when I wrote last weeks predictions). Try a slow troll or retrieve, close to shore, during sunny periods: Bloodworm, Chironomid, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Big Black, Doc Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River sloughs and backwaters are good for cutthroat and dolly varden. For cutthroat Try: Rolled Muddler, Professor, Anderson Stone, Black Stone, Zulu, American Coachman, Flesh Fly, or Chez Nymph. For dolly varden try large (size #4 to 2) Eggo, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Tied Down Minnow, Roller Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Big Black, Kaufmann Stone, or Flesh Fly.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat and rainbow. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Black Gnat, Souboo, Zulu, or Renegade.

The Chehalis River is fair to slow for steelhead, and rainbow. For steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Kaufmann Stone, Polar Shrimp, GP, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, or Steelhead Spratley.

The Vedder River is good for steelhead, rainbow, dolly varden, and cutthroat.