+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wet Wading Options?

Hybrid View

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Default Wet Wading Options?

I'm going to be in the Smoky mountains in mid April doing some back country fishing. I would like to hike as light as possible so I am considering wet wading the creeks and streams. Any suggestions for footwear?
    Last edited by Icemanxxxv; 03-06-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Something that grips very well!!!

Don't be surprised if you bust your derriere more than once!

Wade very carefully and take your time. As soon as you get in a hurry or lose your concentration......splash!!
    Last edited by bobbyg; 03-06-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

I don't live in the area but this link should give you an idea of what to expect depending on where in the Smokies you will be.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/weather.htm

Larry ---sagefisher---

Your regular boots will work fine with neoprene booties or just enough layers of non-cotton socks. But they may weigh too much for backpacking. Wading sandals are your lowest weight option. The best ones cover your toes Nylon long pants are great for this use. Stop wading and dry out if your feet get too numb to wade safely.

Keep in mind that water is very cold especially in the spring. Be prepared fro hypothermia if you are wet wading. My daughter jumped in a falls plunge pool in July in the area. If her brother had not rescued her we would have lost her. She went in to shock as soon as she hit the water. If you fall there is a risk of shock. I don't live there but, it is one of my favorite areas to fish. I wear waders year round. Good luck and be safe.
    Bill

You can get lightweight sandals designed for wet wading, but I would second the warnings above against trying to do it when the water is just too cold. You might be wiser to wear hiking socks and lightweight fleece pants under a pair of nylon stockingfoot hippers. You could still wear wading sandals over those and keep the overall weight/bulk down for backpacking. Fleece pants are light and compressible, hippers are a lot lighter and smaller than a full pair of waders, and sandals are lighter and smaller than boots (and absorb less water).

NewTyer 1 Guest

I know they are a little pricey but a pair of Chota "Hippies" would be perfect as you can roll them down for hiking then roll them up for hitting the water. They will also protect against hypothermia. Also, to avoid falling, make sure ine foot is planted firmly at all times, before moving the other foot.

+ Reply to Thread