+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hooks for Trout Flies

Hybrid View

Default Hooks for Trout Flies

I have been tying flies for several years and have uses several styles and brands of hooks for both fresh and saltwater flies. However, for most of my trout flies, I started out with Tiemco hooks because of the many styles and quality of the hook. As I began tying many more flies, I shifted to Mustads for the reduced cost. However, I am thinking about going back to mainly Tiemco as I like there strength and the profile of the finished fly.

I was interested in what others have experienced and welcome any comments.

Thanks.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Bob,

Use what you're happy with. I tie most of my flies on Dai Riki and have absolutely no complaints with their quality, plus the cost is reasonable for me.

Regards,
    Scott

I tye most of mine on vintage Mustads.

I'm of Norwegian descent, my surname ends in "sen"...all I can say is that I favor that hook brand for that reason alone and you don't have to. I did get peeved when the 9671 series went phoofht-phooey...it was and is a favorite of mine. But..I do have enough to last me. The smaller 94840 in sizes #24 or so always worked well for me.

hairwingsen.........
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

I started to buy Eagle Claw hooks here a little over a year ago and really like them! Good quality hook for pennies compared to some other brands. Other than them, Dai-Riki and Mustad for me...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

I have always used a wide range of hooks for tying, as I tie both trout and salmon flies. I started with Mustad because of their availability in Canada. Here the cost isn't as cheap as it is in the US. I tend to purchase Daiichi hooks for most my flies now, unless I find a good deal on Tiemco hooks. I find Daiichi hooks look great, have a great selection and are remarkably strong and sharp. I have not had a Daiichi or Tiemco hook bend in the vise from tying, but I have had Mustad bend in the vise.

For the fishing that I do, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these brands, however, I much prefer Daiichi to Mustad. Tiemco hooks are great too, but again are more expensive than Daiichi hooks.

Hi Dr. Bob,

I tie all my flies on vintage Mustads, as does Narcodog above. They have served me well, but need to be sharpened prior to use.

Regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread