+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hooks for Trout Flies

My standard hooks are Tiemcos also. The main reason is because of the ability to buy them "barbless" and because of their strength. I really like the Tiemco brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    The Saber hooks I use are the #7010, 7051, 7052, 7021, 7040, and 7017

http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=640
    So, looking at the 7010, is the sizing more akin to the TMC 100, the old Mustad 94840 or the new R50-94840?

Thanks everyone. I have not really tried Diichi hooks. I will give them a try. As I said, I have used Tiemco and Mustad mainly and some Dai Riki. I find the Mustads are find for the larger sizes down to 14s. Smaller sizes are not as strong. These are not the signature series.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Save money and try Allen Fly Fishing hooks.

Bob9

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    So, looking at the 7010, is the sizing more akin to the TMC 100, the old Mustad 94840 or the new R50-94840?
    Steven,

Here is a photo comparison of the Saber 7010 with a TMC 100, the Saber on top and the TMC below. Both are size 14.

I like the Saber because it has more of a model perfect bend like the Partridge Capt. Hamilton dry fly hook and the TMC is a sproat bend. It allows me to tie a slightly shorter fly with a slightly larger gap to hook length ratio. For example, on a size 16 Saber 7010, the hooking gap is wide enough for sure hookups.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Hi Ho Silver,

That hook on the bottom looks funny for a Tiemco 100. Thought the 100 dry fly hook was 1xf and with a 'round bend', not a 'sproat'. Maybe Tiemco has a few versions of the 100? I looked at the manufacturers web site and it seems there's a mistake on the desccription. It states that the hook has a 'looped up eye'. Isn't that inaccurate insofar as the dry fly hook? Just an observation looking at the computer and maybe it looks different in the hand.
    Just asking.

Allan

I went back and checked my hooks. The lower hook is definitely a TMC 100, although I bought it years ago.

Here is a comparison image of a TMC 100 I grabbed off the web at Murray's Fly Shop's hooks. Click on "Murray's" and the photo is at the bottom lower right hand side of the page. It looks like the same hook shape to me.

Here is a Kamasan B17o "sproat" hook from Trout Catchers. The bend looks like the TMC 100 to me.

Last edited by Silver Creek; 03-09-2013 at 01:45 AM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Silver, I just went to the Tiemco site. There are a few hooks with the designation TMC 100. One is a barbless, one says extra heavy and the description of the one for dry flies I copied below. The Tiemco description says "heavy wire", but further down it says "xf". Something is wrong! Additionally, the hook photographed looks different then the one you list in that the wire in your photo looks heavier and the shank looks longer. Yes? No?

Allan

TMC 100 / TMC 101(same hook but a straight eye)

An up-turned, tapered-loop eye design that has become the standard model for salmon and steelhead wet flies. It uses heavy wire for added strength. Black only.
    tmc100.gif TMC 100

Dry FlyD/E, 1XF, Wide gape, Forged, Bronze

If you need a LOT of hooks and want to save some money, look at the Larva Lace hooks sold by Hagens.

www.hagensfish.com

Another good value are the hooks from Togen Enterprises.

www.togenenterprises.com

Togen lets you buy in assortments at the 500/1000 hook price in groups of 100.

Hagens sells hooks by the thousand, but will split for a dollar (so if you need 200 hooks, you pay the 1000 hook price per hook, plus a dollar).

If you need a hook like the Mustad 3366 (classic sproat bend 'standard' straight eye hook-kind of the industry standard for bass bugs and such) Hagens sells those as well at the best price I've seen. Great all around hook.

Good luck.

Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Silver, I just went to the Tiemco site. There are a few hooks with the designation TMC 100. One is a barbless, one says extra heavy and the description of the one for dry flies I copied below. The Tiemco description says "heavy wire", but further down it says "xf". Something is wrong! Additionally, the hook photographed looks different then the one you list in that the wire in your photo looks heavier and the shank looks longer. Yes? No?

Allan

TMC 100 / TMC 101(same hook but a straight eye)

An up-turned, tapered-loop eye design that has become the standard model for salmon and steelhead wet flies. It uses heavy wire for added strength. Black only.
    Attachment 11739 TMC 100

Dry FlyD/E, 1XF, Wide gape, Forged, Bronze
    I think the TMC that you showed above is the one I have. It really does not have a truly "round" bend like the Partridge Captain Hamilton YL3A below.

Regards,

Silver

+ Reply to Thread