+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what's a zonker?

Default what's a zonker?

Does a fly that is called a zonker one that has a trailing edge on it's back, either of wing or fur sliver?

Zonkers are recognized by their wing which is a single strip of fur on hide (usually rabbit) that is secured at both ends of the body, allowing a short length of the fur strip to extend beyond the rear tie-down point. Bodies are usually mylar tubing slipped over a weighted underbody. May have a full collar or beard of hackle or spun fur. Sometimes tied upside down.

what's a zonker?

That's what I did to my girlfriend in the back of my buddy's '59 Edsel!

Sorry girls and guys...let me duck and run for that one....but that's the way it was as a teenager .

Google "Dan Byford" if you want to research this famous fly pattern. Dan died in 2011 and the fly is his legacy. I was at a West Denver TU fly tying clinic when Dan debut the fly. It wasn't really a revolutionary new idea to many of us who had been throwing Rabbit Matuka's around, but the most impressive thing was the speed that Dan cranked this fly of his out. Bizz-zzit, faster that you can read this post, the fly was out of the vise and offered up to his audience for a look. Most impressive to me and my buds.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Ah, the value of searching the FAOL website.

Perfect Zonker

+ Reply to Thread