+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Fly Fishing on a Serious Decline?

In states with trout, fly fishing is NOT on the decline. In saltwater areas where fly fishing for special targets (bonefish, permit, snook, tarpon) fly fishing is NOT on the decline. However, outside of those locations, in areas where it is easier to have good catches with commie tackle, fly fihsing is declining because of the age of the average fly fisher. Our club is very active but average age of members is over 50. Catching redfish and specks (spotted sea trout) is easier and more reliable with spinning gear. It's often very difficult to convince a kid that he/she should take the time to learn to cast a fly to catch 1/2 as much fish as can be caught with lures.
    As for participation on bulletin boards, that seems to happen in waves and is not really indicative of interest in fly fishing.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Blog Entries

I've seen a number of college kids fly fishing, but cost is an issue and they often have the most economical of gear. Come to think of it, that describes me when I was in college.

Ed

According to the Midwest Fly Fishing show this past weekend in Michigan, Saturday was the second all time record crowd for the show and Sunday was OK. Surely that would mean NO! decline in fly fishing to me.
    One thing I did notice is a incline/interest in switch rods this year at the show.
    Last edited by popperfly; 03-12-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Almost 20 years ago, I read a study stated that the average to start fly fishing was 35 and the average age of a fly fisher was 58. I was recently informed that the average age risen slightly to 59 (As I remember the original stats came from a study funded by the Fly Tackle Dealers and the Federation of Fly Fishers, I believe...)

With that being said, the International Federation of Fly Fisher (IFFF) and their charter and affiliate clubs have done more to promote this sport than any other group.

Check out the IFFF website at: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/

Join the Federation... Go to an IFFF event... Find a club and join it.. or start your own... I did some 30 years ago and its still going strong and has helped to bring a number of folks to our sport.

Kyle

While I agree that any decline in interest may be due to the failing economy there are two other factors worth considering. There is constant pressure on the part of manufacturers to continually "upgrade" their products at higher prices making the hobby a more exclusive activity. In addition there is such a proliferation of synthetic fly tying materials. Many producers will be promoting the same or slightly different items claiming that theirs is unique. Most of this "bull" really turns-off mature tiers but we see many newbies being encouraged to spend fortunes on stuff they don't need. We even see some of the most famous and published tiers continually producung new designs calling for exotic and strange materials.
    I may sound like a minimalist but this is far from the case. I too am a victim of all of the above.

Like many others I don't think it is a general decline of fly fishing in areas that encourage fly fishing. I live in southern Iowa and it is a 4 or 5 hour drive either north or south to fly fish for trout. I do enjoy our trips to the dreaded trout parks of southern Missouri for most of my trout fishing. During the spring and summer I spend most lunch hours with a fly rod on one of several ponds very close to the auto dealership where I work. I have only seen one other fly fisher on any of these occasions here. The bass, bluegills, crappies and even catfish are usually very cooperative and are fun on a 2wt or 3wt rod. I agree that most beginners are intimidated by the cost of some of the equipment that is so heavily promoted in the magazines and tv shows. I had played with some old fiberglass fly rods for several years before I planned a vacation in 2009 to Bennett Springs in Missouri to go trout fishing. I decided to get a little more serious, but still didn't have any money. I ordered a Three Forks Prestige combo from Cabelas in an 8 ft 5wt and about a dozen flies. The total cost was about $80.00 and I was ready to fish. While many shun the trout parks I enjoy them and the learning experience they provide. On that first trip I was able to watch fly fishers and even to get a couple to talk to me and I caught some fish. Taking their advice I then caught more fish. Over the next 14 years I have increased my knowledge, added a couple more and better rods including a Sage Launch and one of those Eagle Claw yellow rods, learned to tie flies, built a 2wt from a kit, and even have been able to encourage a few others to take up fly fishing, and life is good. My point is that I agree that you do not need high priced equipment to start fly fishing.

I think that women are the largest growing segment and we need to encourage and foster their interest as much as possible. At Bennett Springs I have had 2 different occasions where girls have approached me and asked questions about fly fishing and casting, obviously because I am old and look safe. Both times I showed them a couple of things and taught them to make a roll cast and a short over head cast, and how to set up a nymph or something under a "strike indicator" and let it drift down stream. One of them, after we talked, went up to the park store and rented a fly rod and came back and I showed her again and she started to catch a fish once in a while and was thrilled. If we want to have more fly fishers then some one has to teach young people, and if you take the time it can be a wonderful feeling.

+ Reply to Thread