I started FF in the late 60's and I don't remember ever seeing another fly rodder on the water in those years. Information, flies, and equipment was almost nonexistant. Today I live in middle TN and again I can't remember seeing another fly rodder on the water but information is readily available because of sites like this. Other than 3 fly shops all about 40 to50 miles away there is basicly no equipment available other than on the web which has an abundance of stuff available as close as the puter and a 3 day wait. Check the price of much of the gear. $250 is considered a cheap rod and a $100 reel is probably below requirement needs. Then you need to spend upwards of $100 lines and the new fly fisher is not yet equiped to catch a single fish. .....I started with a $10 dollar rod and $6 reel and $5 line. The first time I went fly fishing I lost $2 worth of flies so I bought a tying kit and the real fun began. ..... We need to stop telling the fellas that want to start into the sport that they need to spend a $1000 to see if they like the game. I don't think one can even buy a level line any longer and glass rods are selling in the same dollar range as a top of the line bamboo used to sell for. We as a group lead folks to beleive that Fly casting is next to black magic and that to have fun one needs to be able to cast a line 150' to cold water fish that most of us have to travel 10hours to get to prime water and pull on a $600 pair of waders and a $400 pair of boots. It is a wonder that anyone even considers picking up a flyrod. I was in a fly shop a few weeks ago and I picked up a boo rod and the price was $2000. I have owned more than one new car that was less expensive. .....Eagle Claw is marketing a series of flyrod that sell for well under $50. Are they as good as a Winston? no...but are just what a beginner needs to get started but I have never seen anyone, including myself, recommend one to someone wanting to get started in our loved activity. I would'nt even know where to get one. Wal Mart does not even carry them. Sorry for the rant