+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how come they make 9' 3WTs?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question how come they make 9' 3WTs?

a question: if a 3 wt rod would mostly be used on small streams, what purpose is served by a 9 foot long 3 wt? not being confrontational, just genuinely looking for a good reason to use such a rod.

well, to be honest, won one in an auction, used it one day on a stream new to me, and haven't used it since. am i missing something?

further disclaimer: my favorite small stream rod is a 7'6" 3wt that i plan to "take with me", just in case...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Float tube, etc.

Blog Entries

Casey,

I tried my 9 foot 3 weight on a small stream once, then I bought a 7 foot bamboo for that. However, a 9 footer is great for catching smaller fish, like in a lake from a raft pontoon boat. The extra length allows a better reach cast and an easier mend and helps keep the fly off the water on poor backcasts. . It also allows you greater control over a fish when you almost have it reeled all the way in, with the 9 foot rod you can keep the fish farther away from the boat/raft until you get your net ready. A really short rod causes problems in that area, at least for me. But then again, maybe that is just me and not a problem for other people.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Dry fly fishing on broad spring creeks is one reason. The added length helps with mending the line and helps a bit if you need to reach out a bit farther. I also use a 9' 3wt often when fishing pocket water even at close range. When high stick dry fly fishing the longer rod helps with keeping all of the fly line and all or most of the leader off of the water. Some of the high mountain stream that I fish may be narrow and shallow but I might need to kneel 15-20 feet from the water to avoid spooking the fish so a long rod helps hold the flyline off the ground while just the leader is in the water. Angling for panfish on ponds is another situation where I use a longer 3wt rid.

Hi Casey,

I don't have a 9' 3 wt., but I do have an 8' 9" 3 wt. It is a wonderful rod for bluegill fishing in ponds. Now living in the Texas panhandle, I don't get to use it very often because we have a lot of wind (not good for a 3 wt.) and with the drought we don't have much water (not good for fishing of any kind.)

However, when I get a chance to use the rod, it is joy to fish. For pond fishing, even I, your basic heavy handed hack fly caster, can lay the line down on the water with a gentle touch. Wonderful rod, my 8' 9" 3 wt.

Regards,

Gandolf

I have a 10' 3 weight. It's just what the doctor ordered for upstream wet flies, where I want to make frequent, short casts with long leaders and very little line out. A heavier rod gets tiresome, and a shorter one doesn't allow me to keep all the line off the water. I also have a 9' 3 weight for much the same type of fishing.
    Bob

Blog Entries

sold! thank you all!

never thought of using such a rod for bluegills on ponds. we do a lot of that in the spring to tune up our casting. upstream wet flies--i am so there...and now it's going to be easier. and of course it would be better in a pontoon boat or float tube.

thanks for the quick lesson. there had to be a reason, and you all have helped me to understand it.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

I use a 11' 3 wt. for stream fishing except on small brookie streams. also use it for steel head with a 4 wt. switch type line..
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Casey, Bluegill ponds were going to be my suggestion too. Lake shores and float tubes another. Have fun with it. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread