+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knots:( tippet to fly)

Default Knots:( tippet to fly)

On two unrelated video clips from European anglers I viewed recently they tied their fly to the tippet with a novel variation of a Clinch knot.
    They used a basic clinch knot (not improved) but tied a simple overhand knot at the end of the tippet to prevent it from slipping out.
    Is this an accepted variation?

Ray,

Several schools of thought about tippet to fly knots. As far as I know, there are no 'accepted' norms.

Some feel that faster (or perhaps 'easier'), even though weaker, is best, and you get the clinch knot folks and the other 'quick' knots.

Some prefer stronger knots (there are lots of those out there, most are more difficult or take longer to tie).

In my albeit non scientific testing, adding an overhand knot to a clinch knot does not make it less likely to slip or cause it to be any stronger. Doing the improved clinch knot does add strength. Though it's still not a very strong knot, going the 'improved' route will give you more results than adding the overhand knot will.

Up to you, of course. What knot a fisherman uses is intensely personal.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Improved clinch always works for me. I can remember how to tie it, it always worked for bait and spinners. Never lost a fish from it that I know of.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

the application of specific knots are really of personal choices. I've noticed that over the years I've learned to tie different knots to hooks because I can't see as well or I'm using larger flies (for the same reason). My favorite knots for attaching leader to fly are: clinch(reg), Orvis, and Davy Wotton

Over a period of years I've found a couple type of knots that have worked very well, that I can tie easily/fast and that maybe I've perfected a tad, too. The old standby clinch and for streamers a closed loop.

I think tying a knot consistently well is important -- a "better" knot tied poorly is a bad knot. So I stick with the improved clinch knot. After years of practice, yes, I can tie it faster, but more importantly I can tie it consistently well.

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    Improved clinch always works for me. I can remember how to tie it, it always worked for bait and spinners. Never lost a fish from it that I know of.
    Ditto that!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Thanks for the comments but I guess nobody has really familiar with the variation I saw in the European clips.

Ray,

That was the first mono knot I ever tied. My uncle taught me that knot with an extra not at end. We later switched to the improved one.

Bob9

10. Default

Ray, Lots of us do things that are based on "local wisdom". I think the clinch knot with a square knot on the tag end is one of those. Adios Philip

+ Reply to Thread