+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It just doesn't matter....

Hybrid View

Default It just doesn't matter....

Ever wonder which 'theory' of why trout take a fly is correct?

Have you read LaFontaine, Borger, all them guys who 'study' this or have studied this? All of them had lots of data and opinions on things like wing height, imitation -v- attraction, etc. ad noseum.

All of them sound very reasonable.

But, if you look at the only data that is really accurate, you learn that it just doens't matter.

Do the folks that believe that it's size, rather than color or shape, that triggers a trout actually catch fish while thinking that? Yes, they do.

Do the folks that believe in attraction versus imitaion, and vice versa, catch fish with their efforts? Yes, they do.

Do guys catch fish on carefully tied almost picture perfect 'realistic' flies? Yes, they do.

Do other anglers catch fish on flies that just 'suggest' something to the fish. Yes, they do.

Do the well educated guys who know the scientific names of the insects catch fish? Yes, they do.

Do those who could't tell a Flavius from a flatiron catch fish? Yes, they do.

Do the fellows who arrive at the stream, use a small net to catch some insecrts, then select a fly that matches those bugs catch fish? Yes, they do.

Do the guys who show up at streamside, looks in their fly box, pick a pretty one and fling it out there catch fish? Yes, they do.

Now, since EVERY approach, technique, or even fly out there does in fact result in the catching of trout, does it really matter which one you ascribe to? Based on the data available, no, it does not.

Is one of these methods 'more productive' than any other method? No way to determine that with available data. In fact, there is no way to EVER determine that given the variables. It will always fall into the realm of opinion, or 'theory' if you wish to put some kind of scientific spin on it.

If what you do is what you like to do, and you are satisfied with the results, then it truly does not matter what it is you chose to do.

If you are not satisfied with the results of your efforts, there are unlimited oportunities for you to expand what you do until you are satisfied.

You can change, learn, evolve in this sport as much or as little as you wish.

There is no right or wrong.

You can follow the teachings of whomever you want, strike out on your own, or just enjoy where you are.

And, whatever you choose to do, it just doesn't matter. Except to you.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Amen!!! I totally agree with all you stated and support it! Well done and thanks......
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Truer words were never spoken!
    Here's a fun definition of the six types of fly fishers,,,, http://dharmaofthedrift.blogspot.com...ly-angler.html
    nam

And why pray tell would your opinion be any more or less valid than those who believe there is indeed a "method" to fly fishing? Everyone develops their own techniques/habits/strategies to produce results. Granted those who espouse a "scientific method" often do not understand the meaning of the phrase, but your critique seems to be little more than a diatribe against an age old tradition of trying to understand the process of fly fishing, and conveying that knowledge to others. If you do not like the threads that attempt to rationalize fly fishing, then ignore them, but I see no reason at all to discount them out of hand.

I prefer to gather knowledge from all sources, and will evaluate it based on my own knowledge, experience, and by unscientific experimentation on the stream. Furthermore, you gloss over the fact that there are real advantages of learning how others approach the sport which can go a long ways to helping new fishers through the difficult stage of developing their own methods.

Not a bad troll per se, but a bit overstated in my mind...
    Last edited by whatfly; 03-04-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Right on! I couldn't agree more!
    And it's a good thing Buddy didn't take it a step further and try to define what is an isn't fly fishing.
    nam

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    If what you do is what you like to do, and you are satisfied with the results, then it truly does not matter what it is you chose to do.

If you are not satisfied with the results of your efforts, there are unlimited oportunities for you to expand what you do until you are satisfied.
    This is the "crux of the biscuit" right here. It's not about getting it absolutely right, it's about being satisfied with what you do. For some it's catching a few fish on a nice day, for others, it is much more complicated than that. Either route is a valid path to a good day, depending on who you are. Thanks for a great post.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Great accomplishments are rarely achieved by those who are easily satisfied. I believe that "satisfaction" is way over rated a life or fishing goal. If you aren't improving, you are falling behind.

Thomas Edison

"Show me a thoroughly satisfied man, and I will show you a failure."

Steve Jobs:

"The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work."

Albert Einstein:

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death."

Vince Lombardi:

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field."

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

So to sum up...if one dies satisfied, one is a failure, but if one completes his life unsatisfied...he is also a failure? I can see the point, but I can't see it as a universal truth. Really, it's just fishing. Besides that, Buddy's post allows for the endless pursuit of perfection...if that is what makes it enjoyable to you.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Blog Entries

I agree Silver. That is why I keep reading and listening to those who have more experience or knowledge than myself in fly fishing/tying. When I am able to apply the lessons, it adds to my enjoyment and my success on the stream.

I agree PA Dave.
    And to the philosophy that root of most unhappiness is not being satisfied with the present,,,which in no way precludes striving for a better future.
    nam

+ Reply to Thread