+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A sign of the times

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default A sign of the times

A few years ago, Sportsman's Warehouse went out of business, at least up here in the northwest. I know they kept some of their stores farther east and south of the northwest. A Canadian firm, Warehouse Sports bought out many of the Sportsman's Warehouse stores and then they expanded into other cities up here.

Now Warehouse Sports of closing thier doors. Some of their stores are being bought back by Sportsman's Warehouse and others will just palin shut down. I just found out about this at a club meeting Tuesday night. They are having major sales of items with the Warehouse Sports logos on them.

So, I went to a local store today. I was able to buy $909 worth of fly fishing 'stuff' for $227. That is a 75% reduction in price. I will be using these items as raffle prizes and silent auction items at the various groups I belong to that are fly fishing related.

Sorry to see another business going under. A sign of the times.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Larry, We had a Sportsman's Warehouse near me for 6 months. In and out. Boy was I bummed. I too went to the closing sale and bought up a lot of things at a huge discount. It's a shame they couldn't stay in business. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I watched with great interest wehn the Sportsman's opened here in Tucson.

It was the final straw for one local fly shop, which closed after losing too much business to them.

I was happy to find tying materials at Sportsman's. Until I found that they didn't 'restock' them much after the initial offerings. So, eventually, all that is left is the stuff no one wants. The management tells me they 'don't sell much anymore' from that section and would 'discontinue' if they could. Apparently the company itself likes having the stuff, but the ' individual store' is responsible for the restock orders. This according to the management at my local store.

So, they 'sold' a bunch of tying materials when they opened. Then, sales fell off to the point where the whole area is not considered profitable. I wonder what would have occurred if they had replaced what was sold? Perhaps folks like me wouldn't be ordering materials off the internet as much?

They are still open here. Gun sales and the bass tournament guys keep them solvent. Although I'm hearing more and more complaints that Sportsman's is falling behind on the 'good stuff' for the gear guys too.

I wonder if it's really a sign of the 'times' or an indication of poor business practices that sees these stores failing? Selection and price are still the watchwords of retail. Have neither and it's difficult to stay in business.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Thank Goodness the Chattanooga Store is staying open. It's the only place within 50 miles of here to get any fly-tying materials.

We had a SW here for a couple years; they closed up here too.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

The one here still seems to be doing well, despite having a Scheel's and Bass Pro Shops within 15 miles, and a Blayne's Fleet & Farm set to open soon just a mile away. The SW here doesn't have everything I WISH they had, but they do have quite a bit of fly-tying materials. They get a fair amount of my business.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread