I watched with great interest wehn the Sportsman's opened here in Tucson.

It was the final straw for one local fly shop, which closed after losing too much business to them.

I was happy to find tying materials at Sportsman's. Until I found that they didn't 'restock' them much after the initial offerings. So, eventually, all that is left is the stuff no one wants. The management tells me they 'don't sell much anymore' from that section and would 'discontinue' if they could. Apparently the company itself likes having the stuff, but the ' individual store' is responsible for the restock orders. This according to the management at my local store.

So, they 'sold' a bunch of tying materials when they opened. Then, sales fell off to the point where the whole area is not considered profitable. I wonder what would have occurred if they had replaced what was sold? Perhaps folks like me wouldn't be ordering materials off the internet as much?

They are still open here. Gun sales and the bass tournament guys keep them solvent. Although I'm hearing more and more complaints that Sportsman's is falling behind on the 'good stuff' for the gear guys too.

I wonder if it's really a sign of the 'times' or an indication of poor business practices that sees these stores failing? Selection and price are still the watchwords of retail. Have neither and it's difficult to stay in business.