+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I quit my club

Well, our TU Chapter is getting that way also. I express it this way. The folks in the soft seat vs. the folks who sit in the hard seats. I get very discouraged by some of their attitudes. If it's not their idea it doesn't get much air time.

The local saltwater club here is pretty much the same way, I lasted 3 meetings, and saw that it was not for me.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

"Club? We don' need no stinking club...."

I am not club material. I am pretty inept, socially. The only club I ever really felt like I belonged in was the USMC.

Don't sweat the club thing. If your ever in the N. Ga.,/SE Tn. area, let me know and I'll show you some streams you'll be dreaming about for the rest of your life. This area is the best-kept secret in the country. Miles and miles of completely unspoiled streams, only accessible by foot.

Living well is the best revenge........

Every once in a while you folks hit on something that just quietly helps.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Semper Fi Gig

Jim, I have never joined and never will join a fly fishing club for all the reasons you stated. I have always found that fly fishing is the most EGO driven form of fishing there is. Over the years I can't believe the nasty PMs I have gotten from other people on the various fly fishing web sits. The fiberglass fly rodders board being the most stuck up, nasty, mean group of people I have ever traded e mails with.

Lanny

Count me in the 'no joiners' group.

Never belonged to a fly fishing club. Not likely I ever will.

However, if you want to find a fishing club filled with drama and the most entertaining group of Prima Donnas around, try a bass club. Mix ego AND money, and it gets really funny (I find frustration and rampant stupidity amusing most of the time). I lasted a couple of years in two of those...never again.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Welcome to this site, friendly, helpful group of fly fishing people. Me, I just join a fly fishing club in SoCal and waiting to see how friendly they are. Could be fun, then again if not, I can always just stop attending. But this site has a ton of great fly fishing information. ENJOY!

Jim,

I've fished northern Michigan's AuSable River system for most of my life, and I've seen my share of "high-rent" fly-fishing clubs along its storied riverbanks, all of which were housed in huge lodges from "back in the day." A few of the "old-guard" lodges/clubs consisted of a great bunch of guys, most of whom I called "sir," as they were my elders, they were pleasant, and because that was the way I was raised. The rest of the clubs? They measured a man by his wallet, his gear and how expensive a "Fish Truck" he drove. Sorry... they weren't my proverbial "cup of tea," so to speak...

So, my fly-fishing cronies and I came up with our own non-exclusive club with what we saw as a very "exclusive" name-- The Brotherhood of the Angled Fly, or BAF, for short. In short, there are NO membership dues, everyone treats everyone else with respect and as an equal. We don't care about your tax returns, the vehicle you drive, or the gear that you choose to use. We have a loose-knit organization where anybody can be anything they want to be and hold any office that they'd like! I was elected "President" of this hap-hazard bunch by default in 2005 when I was blind and couldn't tell anybody how to get where we'd been!! That's how twisted this bunch is...

We have a far-reaching membership roster from around the country-- 17 or so by last count --and we don't give a wit about formalities, fees or anything else... other than the pure comraderie to be had when some of the "out-of-town" membership decides to show up at my front door, just before the Trout Opener. Our by-laws state that a man should "fish what he wants, drive what he wants, and always bring extra flies!" Short of that, and pitching in to help defray beer costs on warm summer days, we are who we are...

So, if you want to be a member, just say so and you're in! And, by doing so, we here in the north country would always show you our favorite trout holds-- Of course, you'd be sworn to secrecy about locations and such --but it's a sure bet that you'd be invited to an evening at Spike's Tavern in Grayling, post-fishing trip.

So sayeth the Prez of BAF by default, Jerry, aka hairwing530

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Ooouuuugh Raaaah!

Quote Originally Posted by rayhill190 View Post
    Semper Fi Gig

+ Reply to Thread