Jim,

I've fished northern Michigan's AuSable River system for most of my life, and I've seen my share of "high-rent" fly-fishing clubs along its storied riverbanks, all of which were housed in huge lodges from "back in the day." A few of the "old-guard" lodges/clubs consisted of a great bunch of guys, most of whom I called "sir," as they were my elders, they were pleasant, and because that was the way I was raised. The rest of the clubs? They measured a man by his wallet, his gear and how expensive a "Fish Truck" he drove. Sorry... they weren't my proverbial "cup of tea," so to speak...

So, my fly-fishing cronies and I came up with our own non-exclusive club with what we saw as a very "exclusive" name-- The Brotherhood of the Angled Fly, or BAF, for short. In short, there are NO membership dues, everyone treats everyone else with respect and as an equal. We don't care about your tax returns, the vehicle you drive, or the gear that you choose to use. We have a loose-knit organization where anybody can be anything they want to be and hold any office that they'd like! I was elected "President" of this hap-hazard bunch by default in 2005 when I was blind and couldn't tell anybody how to get where we'd been!! That's how twisted this bunch is...

We have a far-reaching membership roster from around the country-- 17 or so by last count --and we don't give a wit about formalities, fees or anything else... other than the pure comraderie to be had when some of the "out-of-town" membership decides to show up at my front door, just before the Trout Opener. Our by-laws state that a man should "fish what he wants, drive what he wants, and always bring extra flies!" Short of that, and pitching in to help defray beer costs on warm summer days, we are who we are...

So, if you want to be a member, just say so and you're in! And, by doing so, we here in the north country would always show you our favorite trout holds-- Of course, you'd be sworn to secrecy about locations and such --but it's a sure bet that you'd be invited to an evening at Spike's Tavern in Grayling, post-fishing trip.

So sayeth the Prez of BAF by default, Jerry, aka hairwing530