+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I quit my club

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I wouldn't join any club that would have me for a member.........

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Count me in the 'no joiners' group.

Never belonged to a fly fishing club. Not likely I ever will.

However, if you want to find a fishing club filled with drama and the most entertaining group of Prima Donnas around, try a bass club. Mix ego AND money, and it gets really funny (I find frustration and rampant stupidity amusing most of the time). I lasted a couple of years in two of those...never again.

Buddy
    That is the truth, the club I used to belong to is just that way...

I just posted in another thread that there's a pretty strong ff club here and that I'm not a member. My experience is very similar to Jim's. I attended a couple meetings and was basically ignored but decided to join anyway. The ignoring continued; only one guy that I can recall introduced himself to me and made any attempt to make me feel welcome (he's a rod builder so maybe he was just looking for customers ). It was very cliquey and it was pretty obvious that if you weren't one of the "in" guys nobody cared whether you were there or not, plus the "ins" were pretty arrogant. Then there were the obvious hangers-on who were sucking up to the "in" guys trying to get "in" themselves.

I'm not the most outgoing guy in the world initially, and unlike Jim I didn't have any outstanding stories or photos to share, but I was willing to devote some time and energy; I showed up for a couple of volunteer activities and was ignored there too. They were always encouraging recruitment of new members but When my membership lapsed not one person contacted me to ask why or try to get me to re-up.

Now I pretty much ascribe to the philosophy expressed in a quote I read by Norman MacCraig: "When I go fishing I like to know that there's nobody within five miles of me."
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    "Club? We don' need no stinking club...."

I am not club material. I am pretty inept, socially. The only club I ever really felt like I belonged in was the USMC.

Don't sweat the club thing. If your ever in the N. Ga.,/SE Tn. area, let me know and I'll show you some streams you'll be dreaming about for the rest of your life. This area is the best-kept secret in the country. Miles and miles of completely unspoiled streams, only accessible by foot.

Living well is the best revenge........
    Please don't take him too literally. There are NO fish in Tennessee...
    (Warren caught 'em all.)

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    This story makes me a little sad. Flyfishing is already looked upon by a lot of non-flyfishers as an expensive, fussy and elitest sport. It's sad when fly fishers perpetuate those myths.
    Obviously it is not a myth! It is very real, and quite common all over. Last year I was standing around watching a run on the Yellow Breeches (NOT the famous Fly Fishing section at Allenberry)- A young kid was catching trout after trout on a spinning rod with kernels of corn. He had 4 on a stringer and was CAREFULLY releasing the ones he was catching, just having a grand time of it. Two fly fishermen, kitted out like something from a cover of a whorvis catalog, bookended him within 3FEET on either side and couldn't draw a strike for 15 minutes. The kid, showing a stupendous level of sportsmanship, patiently waited and cast his corn when the FF'ers lines were clear and kept catching and releasing fish. The two douchebags walked right out in front of the kid, up the run, and back down the run, before walking out on the other side and going up to the road. It made me absolutely sick. That sure made a great impression of FF'ers to the kid, who probably will despise them for life.

I've had a "guide" on a steelhead stream walk right up to me with his "client" and tell me I can move up or down stream, but not stay here, "my client is paying to fish this part of the stream." Public access, I paid for the fish with my license fees and tax dollars, just skipped the "guide" part. "You can go **** yourself upstream or down, just not here." I applogized to the "client" for my language and offered my condolensces that he wasted real money on hiring this buffoon.

Fly fishing is often viewed as elitist, expensive, or a "subculture" of the new guys with face tattoos and ear-stretchers, because a lot of it really is!

Same as the BASScar fools who think they own a lake because they have a $60,000 boat, clown suit, 40lb superline, and jump around screaming like a little girl when they catch a 14 inch LMB. I was fishing a cove on a large lake in my canoe, catching some nice LMBs when two of those a$$hats came roaring into the cove, right up to me, I'm talking 20 feet away, and loudly told me I had to leave because they were fishing a tournament and I was in their spot. Yeah, right. I told them to get bent, you own the lake? So they acted like juveniles and ripped out of the cove, trying -unsuccessfully- to upset my canoe with their wake.

Heck, there are a ton of FOOLS out there, both rich and poor. I love meeting up with them as I am not normal and do not tolerate their behavior. I have never been convicted for my actions towards them. I just hate the rude mean people. Heck, come to California and see at the parks, freeways, and just about everywhere you go to see so many who think they are the most important person ever. But I am trying to find people who actually really care about others and do their part on making this place a better place to live. Wish me luck.

Originally Posted by RoyceThis story makes me a little sad. Flyfishing is already looked upon by a lot of non-flyfishers as an expensive, fussy and elitest sport. It's sad when fly fishers perpetuate those myths.

exactly the reason I will keep a fish here and there when surrounded by those fools. I love to eat trout, but usually C&R....unless I am on a stream surrounded by elitists. Last time, it was Hat Creek, in CA, where one can legally keep two fish over 18". I was getting the stink-eye from the Orvis Crowd, because I was not one of them (I think my little red and white bobber bothered them). I caught a 17 incher and let him go. then a 20 incher...walked to the edge of the stream, found a rock, bopped him on the head, dragged out my stringer, hooked him up, and went back in to nymph...with my little red and white bobber.

and the fish was delicious...first trout I had eaten in 6 months.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    Originally Posted by RoyceThis story makes me a little sad. Flyfishing is already looked upon by a lot of non-flyfishers as an expensive, fussy and elitest sport. It's sad when fly fishers perpetuate those myths.

exactly the reason I will keep a fish here and there when surrounded by those fools. I love to eat trout, but usually C&R....unless I am on a stream surrounded by elitists. Last time, it was Hat Creek, in CA, where one can legally keep two fish over 18". I was getting the stink-eye from the Orvis Crowd, because I was not one of them (I think my little red and white bobber bothered them). I caught a 17 incher and let him go. then a 20 incher...walked to the edge of the stream, found a rock, bopped him on the head, dragged out my stringer, hooked him up, and went back in to nymph...with my little red and white bobber.

and the fish was delicious...first trout I had eaten in 6 months.
    excellent!

+ Reply to Thread