Thread: Safe Wading Tips

Threaded View

I'll use this opportunity to post another section of the book manuscript I've donated to FAOL. It is about safe wading and, as with the other sections I've posted here, please feel free to jump in and correct or add to it.

Brad

Wading
    Wading is a potentially life-threatening activity, so do it with appropriate caution.

I won't wade in ponds. Pond bottoms can surprise you with unexpectedly deep and soft mud that grabs your boots and doesn't want to let go as you sink deeper. If that ends up with your head sinking under water, you are in a life-threatening situation and should be wearing a life preserver! But I'm not about to take this risk and also recommend that you do not wade in ponds, at least not without a life preserver!

You can encounter the same or a similar problem wading on the delta of soil washed into a lake at its inlet and deposited on the lake bottom. It is often soft and muddy. It can also be unstable at its edges - creating an "avalanche" as you step near the edge. I had that experience once while wading in some very cold water as a teen. Amazing how fast you can go from being warm and dry to wet and shivering!

I am comfortable wading in deep water because I am a good swimmer. However, even if I am wearing chest high waders, I don't like to wade in deeper than my waist. That gives me a safety margin in case I accidentally step into a hole.

If you are not a good swimmer, you may want to purchase one of the self-inflating life preserver devices you'll see in fly fishing catalogs and stores to. You'll also see belts that go on outside of your waders, which many think are protection against your waders filling up with water and sinking you in the event of such a hat-floating experience.

Personally, I haven't felt a need for the life preserver devices but, once again, this decision on safety equipment is totally up to you. I do use a wader belt, because it helps me to carry a couple of gear items and will prevent water from soaking the clothes below my belt in case I accidentally go swimming.

I have yet to go swimming in my waders, but I've read some very credible reports of fly fishers who have intentionally tried this. I believe these reports but you'll have to decide for yourself. Their reports are that, if you can swim in your swimsuit, you can swim in your waders. Any water that gets in your waders will be no heavier than the water you are swimming in, and thus will not sink you.

Water is heavier than air, though, so the water in your waders would make it harder to climb out from the stream. Thus, once you have reached shallow water, remove or lower your waders to let the water out so you can climb up onto the shore.

As a beginner, you'll probably be most worried about falling in deep water where you might drown. Reality is that, if you can swim, you face far more danger in shallow water, where you might fall and break a bone or hit your head on a rock. That's why I strongly recommend having a wading staff with you whenever you are wading. The wading staff helps you to keep your balance and, by using it to probe water ahead of you, helps to keep you from stepping into unexpectedly deep water.

I see a lot of young and athletic fly fishers who wade across a stream much like they would walk across a street. I?ve also seen them fall. Even when using your wading staff, it is best to wade with short, somewhat tentative, steps. Don't take your weight off one foot until you know you can put it safely on the other. This is especially true if you can't see your feet well. It will help to keep you from tripping over rocks or stepping into holes.

If the current is strong, wade sideways to it. Unless there is something terribly strange about your body, you will present a narrower profile when wading sideways, and thus receive less of the current's force against your body. If you have to get out of a strong current it is often best to back out so that your side stays turned towards the current. If you have to turn around in a strong current, do it by turning your front into the current and leaning into its force. Turning your back to the current could cause it to knock you over.

Pay attention to what is downstream when wading in a strong current so you know the conditions you will be floating into if you fall. If you have to cross the river or a significant part of it, plan on an angle that will see you arriving further downstream than you were when you started as it requires less fighting of the current to do this.

Human nature being what it is, you will probably look down at the water as you wade through it. When doing this in fast moving water, you may find yourself becoming dizzy. Your brain is having a hard time adjusting to the movement it is seeing as opposed to the movement it is feeling. If you experience dizziness, stop moving and focus your eyes on the opposite bank. Your brain will quickly calibrate and the dizziness will go away.

If you do fall, give first priority to protecting your body - not your rod and reel. It is better to lose your gear than to drown or injure yourself.

If you fall in deep water with a current that is pushing you downstream, get on your back quickly, with your feet out in front of your body on the downstream side and your knees somewhat bent. That allows you to push away from any big rocks you encounter with your feet. It is far better to encounter that rock with your feet than with your head!

Keep calm. The worse thing you can do at this point is to panic and, chances are, there is no need for panic. Also keep your head up so you can see what lies ahead of your drift and respond properly.

Start swimming towards shore from this ?on your back and feet in front? position. The best way to do this is sort of a "backstroke butterfly" technique, imitating the two oars on a rowboat. Cup your hands, sink both of them into the water behind you, and then pull both arms forward at the same time.

The three most dangerous things you can encounter at this point are rock snags, fallen trees, and waterfalls. Avoid the waterfall and fallen tree problems by not wading upstream of them, especially if the current is strong. For rock snags, try to kick off all rocks above or close to the surface. You don't want your feet to get caught underwater between two rocks!

Fallen trees are really dangerous in a strong current. The current tends to go under them and that is the way it will try to drag you. There are branches that can snag your clothing or other gear, trapping you underwater. Try your absolute best to swim away from them so the current takes you past the tree, not into it. If you absolutely can't avoid the tree turn so you are drifting headfirst. When you reach the tree grab it and try your best to scramble up on top of it. Thank heaven I've never had to try this, and I understand that it is very hard to do. The better option is to avoid the tree by paddling away from it while still upstream. Even better, don?t wade in strong currents upstream of a fallen tree. I don't!

If you get your clothes wet in a fall, especially in cold weather, try to get into dry clothing and a warm place as soon as possible. Don?t risk hypothermia. If you've thought ahead, you?ll have a towel and some dry clothes waiting in your vehicle

Speaking of getting wet while wading, some people prefer to ?wade wet? in warmer weather. There's nothing that says that you can't just wade in your swimsuit or shorts if the water and air temperatures are comfortable for you. I like to wade wet when the water temperature is acceptable, especially if there is a long hike to the water. It is easier than wearing or carrying my waders on the hike. I always wear fast drying nylon pants for protection from scrapes when I wade wet.

If you decide to wade wet, wear your wading boots for traction and foot protection, with enough pairs of socks to make the boots fit comfortably. Some people wear neoprene booties under their wading boots, sold wherever you buy fly fishing gear and designed for wet wading. Wearing gravel guards will help to keep grit out of your boots.

Fast Rising Water
    The companies that control dams will sometimes decide to significantly increase the amount of water the dam is releasing. The result will be a fairly fast increase in the depth and current strength of the river downstream of the dam.

If you are going to be fishing the tailwaters downstream of a dam, try to research ahead of time to see if a larger water release is scheduled for that day, when, and what warnings, if any, the dam will issue. Some dams set off a siren, for example, in advance of a release.

If you are fishing a tailwater stream that suddenly begins rising, get out of the water and get up on the bank above the obvious high water mark. The one time I encountered this, I also should have just gone home. The water release stirred up so much silt that the fish stopped feeding.

Oh, yeah, don't forget that flash floods occur in rivers that are not tailwaters. If it looks like there is a heavy rain occurring upstream, take appropriate precautions.Ditto if there is a chance of a flash flood during Spring ice-out.
    Last edited by oldfrat; 03-04-2013 at 02:46 AM.