+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

1. Default Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Sport fishing column for Feb 25 to March 4, 2013

This coming weekend, March 1- 3, you will find The Fraser Valley Boat & Sportsman Show at the Tradex Center in Abbotsford, BC. This is "the" show for many lower mainland outdoorsmen.

For many of us the annual trek to the show is a long held family tradition. For my Dad the tradition goes back the Canadian National Show, in Trenton Ontario, just after World War II. I went to my first show was at in 1963, at the old PNE Fair Grounds. Ted Peck was the draw on the speaker's stage. My Dad was introduced to archery which became his passion, and I of course was drawn to the fishing pond. Some years later my Dad was doing demonstrations at the old Vancouver Show, while I consumed all the hotdogs and cokes my stomach could hold. Oh, the memories.

Roll the tape forward to 1992, and the first year of The Fraser Valley Boat & Sportsman's Show. This is where my oldest daughter caught her first fish. Yes, you guessed it; at the fishing pond. Some years later we had the kids from our youth Fly fishing clubs demonstrating fly tying at the Fraser Valley Show. A few years, after that, we had my daughters and their friends doing fly tying demonstrations for our friend Rodney Hsu, at his booth. Then there is the annual meeting for the local members of The Outdoor Writers of Canada, I have always enjoyed those.

This year will be another mile stone; we are taking our Granddaughter, the fourth generation. With a little luck she will get her first fish at the fishing pond, and on a fly. That will make a fourth generation of the family introduced to the tradition of outdoors shows, and a fifth generation introduced to catching fish on the fly. It's going to be a good one! I believe I can speak for everyone involved when I say "We hope to see you there."

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are fishing fair to good. Try a slow troll or retrieve, close to shore, during sunny periods: Bloodworm, Chironomid, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Big Black, Doc Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River sloughs and backwaters are good for cutthroat and dolly varden. For cutthroat Try: Rolled Muddler, Professor, Anderson Stone, Black Stone, Zulu, American Coachman, Flesh Fly, or Chez Nymph. For dolly varden try large (size #4 to 2) Eggo, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Tied Down Minnow, Roller Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Big Black, Kaufmann Stone, or Flesh Fly.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat and rainbow. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Black Gnat, Souboo, Zulu, or Renegade.

The Chehalis River is fair to slow for steelhead, and rainbow. For steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Kaufmann Stone, Polar Shrimp, GP, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, or Steelhead Spratley.

The Vedder River is good for steelhead, rainbow, dolly varden, and cutthroat.
    Last edited by fishingnewsman; 02-26-2013 at 03:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread