+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Line Suggestions?

Hybrid View

Default Line Suggestions?

I just purchased my first proper tenkara rod (Fountainhead Stone Fly 360), and I was wondering if anyone here had a suggestion as to what line works best with this rod. I know that it boils down to personal choice, but I do need a starting point, so all opinions are welcome. I can furl my own leaders, so if you suggest a furled leader, please include the material (Kevlar, UNI, etc.) and length. I am looking at fishing small streams, and possibly a small reservoir. Thanks in advance for your input.

As a starting point, size 3 level fluorocarbon tenkara line, the length of the rod (a little less for narrow streams, a little more for lakes). If there is a bit of a breeze you might want to fish with a 4.

Furled leaders will cast more easily - largely because they are almost universally heavier, and a heavier line is easier to cast. It is also harder to hold off the water's surface. To me, the light line you can hold off the surface, minimizing drag, is the essence of tenkara. Since you furl your own leaders, I know you will make a tenkara line. I would suggest you make it no more than 12' and lighter than any you've ever made.

Kevlar and UNI-thread will absorb water and get even heavier. I would treat them with floatant, not to make them float (because they should be in the air not on the surface) but to minimize water absorption. The other alternative is to make them extremely light and plan on the water absorption to give them the weight necessary for casting.
    Tenkara Bum

Excellent information! I guess I'll be furling up a 12' leader with the same proportions as my typical 1 weight leaders. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    AZ, a size 3 level FC line is 10 Lb. test; a size 4 level FC line is 15 Lb. test or there abouts. It varies some what between the different line makers. The pound test may give you a better point of comparison than the Japanese line size number system does, which is a very long ways from the American and English fly line number/size rating system.
    So, the Japanese system of numbering lines does not correlate to the line diameter? And as far as FC is concerned, are there any domestic US brands/product that make for an ideal (or slightly less than ideal) leader? I read that the big issue is the stiffness of the line is the issue, where the stiffer line is preferred (which is confusing to me, because furled lines are praised for their suppleness).

+ Reply to Thread