Thread: HYRUM AND THE RIVER (Historical fiction) - Readers cast (Tom Deschaine) Feb 25, 2013

Threaded View

Very good story about a part of the country I have yet to visit. I am a little curious about the recipe for vinegar pie, although I think my wife puts a little vinegar in her buttermilk pie. Google is too convenient now to find the answer:

Vinegar Pie I
    "This is a very old pie, probably invented by people who had little access to fresh supplies such as lemons or cream. Some say that it was the pioneer women who first thought up the idea. The lemon extract in this recipe is a my addition. The original recipe calls for regular vinegar which, for me, gives a bland pie. You can substitute apple cider vinegar, leaving out the lemon extract, for a very good taste. Be sure to let the pie crust cool before filling." — Kevin Ryan
    • 1 (9 inch)pie crust, baked
    • 1/4 cupsifted all-purpose flour
    • 1 cupwater
    • 1/8 teaspoonsalt
    • 1/4 teaspoonlemon extract
    • 3egg whites
    • 1 cupwhite sugar
    • 3egg yolks
    • 1 tablespoonunsalted butter
    • 3 tablespoonsdistilled white vinegar
    • 6 tablespoonswhite sugar

Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
    2. Mix the flour with 1/2 cup of sugar. Add the water gradually and cook on top of a double boiler for 15 minutes, stirring constantly, or until thickened.
    3. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with the yolks and salt and mix well with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Add the hot flour mixture to the yolk mixture gradually, mixing all the time. Return to the double boiler and cook for about 3 minutes more or until the mixture is thick and smooth.
    4. Add the butter, extract, and vinegar. Mix well and remove from heat. Place a piece of plastic on top of this custard.
    5. Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until foamy and gradually add the 6 tablespoons sugar. Beat until a stiff, glossy peak is achieved.
    6. Pour the custard filling into the prebaked shell ( the custard should still be hot, if not, heat up a again before adding to shell). Top with the meringue. Spread the meringue all over the top of the pie, sealing to the edges of the crust. Place into the oven and bake until the meringue is a nice nut brown, about 15 minutes. Traditionally, this pie is served hot.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 02-27-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!