I have been tying for about 6 months now with the vise from an old Hank Roberts beginners fly tying kit my wife and son found in a garage sale, vintage '50's or '60's since this is the same kit I bought around '65 and tied with in when I fly fished between ages 12 - 15. The vise that came with the kit is most basic and is better suited for larger flies, size 12 and up because of the jaws being so large. Got permission from the better half to upgrade the vise and went into research mode.

Wanted something I will be tying on for some years to come, but stay within the budget of about $100, it had to be a rotary and have jaws to handle #1 - #26. Found a couple of other Fly Fishing sites with comparison reviews and other individual reviews, unfortunately not here since there are no comparison reviews and the vise reviews I did find were not in my price range, and chose the Danica Danvise. The Danvise got top reviews on the review sites and was compared favorably with vises in the $200 - $250 range. And, to top if off, found it gently used at a deep discount. The seller says it was used for fly tying classes and everything is there and has been checked out. A bit trusting maybe, but I am finding the fly fishing community to be a pretty trust worthy bunch.

Now I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new vice. I will give a review from the beginners perspective when I receive it and tie up some flies.