Thread: Are the fly fishing shows you attend in decline?

Threaded View

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

I couldn't tell you if the one out here ( which is not a dedicated fly show ) is on the decline or not, I was fishing.
    All I know is, the last time I went to it, you couldn't hear the guest speakers or carry on a conversation over the constant duck calls.

Here's a thought...
    Let's drop all of the In-shop parking lot fly fairs.
    Let's ask the ISE & Fly F. Show to put down their swords and work together towards forming a single quality show.
    Get all of the manufacturers, retailers, outfitters, clubs, FFF and Cal Trout & TU to pull together and unite behind a single show that serves all of Northern and Central California.

Position it near a major population base, closely served by a real international airport, offering a wide range of accommodation and transportation options nearby. This should be no big trick for a state with the resources of California.

Pleasanton at its zenith, wasn't a large enough venue to handle all the vendors who wanted to take part in it ( I know this from first hand exhibitor experience ) and now that the shoe is on the other foot. There isn't enough there to lure many of us north and central Californians to travel to it.

It boils down to this, build a show that's worth our time to travel to and more of us will attend for multiple days.
    How many of you here, that went to the Pleasanton show, bought the two or three day pass they offered?

When the I.S.E. in San Mateo was at it's high point, late 80's early 90's how many attended it for a second, third or fourth day?

Its not so much the economy as it is the product ( the number of exhibitors and array of interests to explore. ) and it's location. Pleasanton is simply to small a venue and out of the way for many of us.

...and for the out of area exhibitors and guest speakers, it's not like Pleasanton is a quick cab ride across town from OAK, SFO, SMF or SJO.

That's my two, plus two, plus two cents.
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 03-01-2013 at 07:22 PM.