+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the fly fishing shows you attend in decline?

Question Are the fly fishing shows you attend in decline?

Today I went to the Fly Fishing Show (Pleasanton, CA) after a two year absence. I was sadden by the dramatic change. What used to be a full day of talking to friends, manufacturers, fly tiers and attending seminars was reduced to a couple of hours. I can't help but wonder if fly fishing is on the decline. What are you folks finding out there? Are your shows in decline?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Beats me, I quit going to them about ten years back. Might do it if there was a big one right here, but...

After five years of a down economy, everything is a bit less than it used to be. Only natural.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Went to the Toronto sportmans show and it was not that terribly exciting. Could be because I don't need anything. The crowds are not there like they used to be. I think that the big shows will eventually fade away.

I stopped attending the Denver one a few years ago. Not because I had lost interest in the sport, but because the show had become very repetitive and a waste of time and money, IMHO. I don't think you can judge interest in the sport by attendance at the shows.

Similarly, posting counts are way down at all of the fly fishing bulletin boards I visit. Maybe that is because the novelty of having this form of interaction has declined.

I have not noticed any decline in the number of fly fishers I encounter on local waters, which may be the best measurement.

Brad

The spring show here in Atlanta was cancelled this year. It doesn't get much smaller than that. The local internet organization, North Georgia Trout Online (NGTO) is still planning their Spring Fling next month, it's pretty small however but it will be a good d ay to meet some of the guys we swap message with online and pickup a few tips. They have some accomplished anglers do some demos. At good day, if you are in the Atlanta area March 23, drop in at the Buford Trout Hatchery.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

We too, JUST got home from the Pleasanton show. The vendors we care about and talked to said they were doing fine there. We did yesterday and today both and would have done tomorrow also, if not for previous committments. We MOSTLY BS around there. We DO do some seminars. Saw 3 of Gary B's and was pleasantly surprised with the amusement inserted into his very informative presentations. We saw Phil Rowley's stillwater presentation and picked up some great stuff there too. Saw Rob A.'s Peacock Bass present and sure want to try that even MORE now. 'course ya can't go by Ken and Jay's corner without a shout howdy for an hour or so. Dang! We were PLENTY busy for two days and thoroughly enjoyed "the show"! .....lee s.
    PS-Can't forget Steve Potter and of course those we have forgotten.
    Last edited by lee s; 02-24-2013 at 03:16 AM.

lee s,

I'm glad you had a good time. I didn't have a bad time, but found the show was significantly smaller and the crowds substantially reduced since my last visit in Feb '10. I did notice the number of seminars have increased. I guess that's a good thing. Still, I miss the days when it was a bigger and more lively show.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Somerset, NJ was packed last year and this year.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
    Somerset, NJ was packed last year and this year.
    That's reason enough to stay home IMO.

John

+ Reply to Thread