I know, it's futile. Instead of buying a new fly line, I should just give in and buy a whole new outfit. Actually, I should buy an outfit for every line weight from 0 to 12, and multiple outfits for the weights I use the most to cover the different lengths, rod actions, and rod materials that I may need. Then when I get to the river, I can pick from dozens of rods in addition to the choice of hundreds of flies.

But I'm still naive enough to think I can get by with just two rods (actually 3, but the other one was my 'training rod', department store type, and I just keep it as a backup). I have a 4-weight 8-foot rod that I really like for small stream fishing, especially dry flies. It does well in close areas for shorter casts. It does not do so well with larger and weighted flies. That's why I have a 6-weight 9-foot rod.

My 6-weight has had Bass Pro Shops Vanguard line on it for the last year or so, which I've really liked, but is getting worn out from all my grass trout fishing (casting practice). And it still doesn't have as much oomph for casting things like poppers and clousers as I would like. I really enjoy roll casting, and have been learning some single-handed spey techniques, and want to get a line that will help me pull Clousers and poppers out of the water on a roll cast, without being limited to two rod lengths for distance. One option would be to get an 8-weight setup, but I've been thinking about just upgrading to a bass taper or clouser taper line.

Ideally, I would like to keep using my 4-weight for my lighter, close-in stuff, such as streams for panfish and trout. I would like my 6-weight to be setup for my heavier and bushier flies, on rivers, ponds, and lakes for bass and larger fish. I've been looking at Scientific Anglers' Mastery Bass Bug fly line and RIO's Coldwater Clouser fly line. I am leaning toward the RIO, mostly because not all of my heavy fly fishing is in warm (70-plus) water.

What do you think?