Thread: Thinking about a new fly line

Threaded View

I feel "bqreer" is 100% correct on all points. Many years ago I worked for Amana Refrigeration and was on the end of an assembly line and was boxing Amana window air conditioners. After a 15 minute break, I returned to my post to find that the boxes I was using which had Amana printed on them, had been changed to boxes which had Trane printed on them. The post above me had their Amana labels, which they were putting on the air conditioner units, changed to Trane labels. I have been told that there were some minor changes further up the line, but, I do not know what those changes were. So, different brand fly lines can be made by the same manufacture with minor changes made so that the cost of the finished product can be less than the original. I have used Cabela's fly line and have used fly line that only cost $12 shipped to my home and they all can be used and will work. I have also used Sage fly line and I can tell a difference between top dollar and bottom dollar fly line. The higher cost fly line, to me, can be cast with less effort on my part and more enjoyable to fish with all day. When I need to replace fly line, I will replace it with what my wallet can afford at that time and use it until it needs replaced. I do not need to have the most expensive fly line for my type of fly fishing because I fly fish for the enjoyment of being on the water, enjoying the surroundings and catching fish with a fly rod.

So, purchase the best fly line you can afford at that given time and just enjoy fly fishing.

You will be surprised how well a fly rod that you did not enjoy, performs with a top of the line fly line. An inexpensive fly line can make a good fly rod cast poorly and I feel some good fly rods were sold because of this. Just my opinion......
    Last edited by WarrenP; 02-26-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.