+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Organza

I am also interested in seeing it.

AlanB Guest

Well with the comments on another thread in mind I will put the photos together, and perhaps take a few more, for a FOTW submission. In the mean time here's the set of photos in one album.

Cheers,
    A.

Duckster,

I bought some of the Organza RIBBON to use as streamer material. I also found stripping out the lateral fibers to be a PITA. If all you need is short fibers, it's easier to do as AlanB advised. But for a couple of inches of it, I just pull out 1/4 inch chunks at a time. Takes some time, and they don't come willingly, but it can be done. Tried combs, brushes, picks, none of that went very well.....as I'm sure you've discovered.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

AlanB Guest

When I took a proper look at the old photos I wasn't happy with 'em, so I've re shot the whole thing. Written it up, and it is now in the in box of The Chronicler. Watch this space.

[update] Neil says he'll use it, but doesn't know when yet.

Cheers,
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 03-02-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Update

The material is absolutely great for trico spinner wings on spring creeks. It lets light in and has a perfect density. The only problem which is synonymous with spring creeks is lack of vision--the material doesn’t float well. But not all is lost, fish love drowned trico spinners.

AlanB Guest

Some time ago a solution to the visibility problem was suggested for spinner patterns. Tie the wings as a hackle, over sized for a dry of that size would usually require then trip the hackle flat below the hook shank. It occurs to me that the same could be done with an over sized Compara Dun type wing. In a recent edition of Fly Fishing and Fly Tying this idea was resurrected but the hackle trimmed flat above the hook shank, The fly would then float with the hook up.

For the tiny Trico spinners you could try tying the wings in the form of an over sized Compara Dun using the organza in place of deer hair. With such a small hook a good floatant should enable you to get the fly to float, and the wing make it more visible.

Another thought that might just add a little. Philip White observed the trout of the River Wye in Derbyshire has a a preference for Mayfly spinners with just one wing stuck in the surface. He started to tie his imitations with the wings at 90 degrees rather than 180 degrees. One wing falls onto the surface the other sticks up where you can see it. This observation was for Mayflies, Ephemera family, the other end of the scale from Tricos.

I have no experience that any of what I have suggested will help. Its an insect we don't have here, and I've never fished a hatch or fall of them. I'm simply passing on generic fly tying ideas I have come across over the years. Hope something in there helps.

Cheers,
    A.

AlanB Guest

For those who wanted to see the SbS for the Organsa Ribbon Caddis its up as the FOTW now.
    Cheers,
    A.

They make the ribbon now without the lateral threads.

I don't think this link has been posted yet. If it has, my apologies. Davie McPhail's Organza Emerger.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-EuNpNHJo

Joe

Had the name wrong. Found a few bags in my stash.
    Pseudo hackle:
    http://www.caddisflyshop.com/hapsha.html
    no lateral fibers to pick out.
    P1010034.jpg

+ Reply to Thread