Quote Originally Posted by dave potts View Post
Jackster,

I note you use the micromesh pad-presumably the on that comes in the Scientific Angler kit. Was wondering just how you use it. Do you just wipe the line throuh it dry or do you use any soap and/or water with it?

Dave
Dave, I admit to giving the line more importance to having a good working rig than the rod and reel combined. Because of this obsession with lines I take care in taking care of them and can honestly say that I've never had a line crack or go bad on me except for instances where a hot cigarette butt on the ground met the running line or the line got between my boot and a rock or the kids cat learned how to make many lines out of one.
If the line is especially dirty from grass, parking lot casting or from algae that sticks to the line at certain times of the year I simply run it through a wet cloth lathered with Ivory bar soap. I then do it again using clean water to rinse and then use either the 3M pad or a line treatment if need be. Sometimes, especially away from home I just swipe the line with the gray side of the 3M/SA pad to get it slick again. I know people who use the sponge side for dressing but I never have. I just use a small piece of paper towel to apply the dressing.
While albie fishing last fall the salt build up was really affecting my cast. I had some 3M line lube in my bag and wiped that on. What a world of difference that made.
After getting lines tangled once too many times I stopped using the sink for washing my lines. Instead I walk around the house dispensing line off the reel onto the floor as I walk and then follow it around where it lays using the soapy cloth, 3M/SA pad or whatever it is I'm treating the line with. I never had a tangle since doing that and get a good chance to inspect every inch of the line that way. The biggest problem I've run across doing that has to do with cats and sharp teeth!