+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timely Tips-Fly Line Dressing

I agree with Mike, and I am not afraid to use ArmorAll for my lines, I've never had a problem with deterioration. He touches on a point I think most overlook and that being the rod and guides. Along with cleaning the line I make it a point to polish my rod with ArmorAll to lessen the effect of line slap (and I know all about "Pledge Furniture Polish" do I have to buy another chemical?). As far as the line goes I pay particular attention to the back of the line, the part of the line we shoot. That's the part that needs to slide. To float a line, I dress the first few feet of the line and butt of the leader with albolene if needed.

My feelings are, I don't like a sticky line or rod and I like the business end to float YMMV.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Thank-you for all of your valuable input and tips.
    "Sometimes one cannot see the the forest for the trees." (another senior's moment)
    I'm going to try one of the manufacturer's line dressing, come the opening season.

Borden

I have read elsewhere that some manufacturer's (Orvis?) line dressing is actually 303 Protectant repackaged. I have not tried it myself. I use either Orvis or SA line dressing.

Ted

Another vote for Glide...use it occasionally, when needed.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I use a homeade version of the Reel-E-Good Winder. Keeps the dubbing in my carpet AKA cat fur off the line.
    Dale

I'm surprised that ZipCast hasn't been mentioned as I thought I first heard about it here. I've used it for several years and really like it. The best part is that it cleans and dresses all in one step without drying or buffing. The ease of application means that I do it often. In fact, I strip off the first 20-30' of line before each outing and run it through a piece of cloth with a couple drops of ZipCast.

I still have some Glide and during the off season I will wash my line in soapy water and then treat it with Glide per instructions (including drying and buffing). But I really like the ease of applying ZipCast and the immediate results.

+ Reply to Thread