+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast a bunch of rods in search of a mountain stream rod

92Esquire:

I cast without catching anything behind me, The rod is 6' 6", and my hand is 5' 0" above the ground. So the "Tiptop" guide is 11' 6" above the ground.

I cast with the reel seat held firmly against my arm (no spin-cast wrist movement), and let the rod load, using the my elbow as the fulcrum. This way, I do not have to strain to cast 60 feet, instead I let the rod be the lever to multiply my arm motion by 6. The loops are tight which will help "Keepyth Thynne Baakast Upeth!" ~Parnelli

How small a mountain stream? I love my Diamond Glass 6'6"3# for the average stream, but on the little ones, I built a 5' 2# that is incredibly fun!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I guided a gentleman not long ago who had a 7'4" sage 4 weight. It felt lighter then a 4 weight. I think it was called a center axis. You need a sage reel as well because there was no butt or conventional reel seat. The reel attached directly to the back of the rod. It was an incredible rod and you should definitly do yourself a favour and try one if possible.

Ed

it might be "low-end", but check out the echo 1's and echo 2's...I have an echo 1 7'6" 3 wt. (they're all 4 pc.) and it casts beautifully...plus, it's got pretty decent backbone...at least good enough to bring in a 16" sea-run cutthroat...

good luck,
    ~Randy

------------------
    ~Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
    Jack Handy~
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

If I were in your position, I would concentrate on finding a rod that is DIFFERENT than the one you already have - not just a shorter verson. One the great pleasures in fishing is to have a variety of rods at your disposal, and to try them out on different water. If you have a long fast rod now, consider a 7foot medium action rod. Just cast them all until you find one you like in your price range.

Variety is the spice of life, and if you are serious about expanding your quiver, take the long-term approach and invest in a variety of actions and lengths. That being said, it looks like you are considering some very high-end rods; one thing you might consider is getting two rods- spend your big bucks on a short medium-action honey stick, and then get a cheap, faster rod like a TFO 8ft for the technical pocket water. Given the variety of streams and small water, I'd hate to be stuck with just one 3weight.

Betty - what blank did you build the 5' 2wt rod on? Sound like that would be a REALLY fun one.

Steven - I think you def of a small stream is different than mine. 60' cast?

donald

I used a Batson blank. Listed as a RX7 blank; IF502, Olive grn/m clear 2 sections. MSRP $31.00

It's a total hoot! I've used it in South Dakota and Wyoming, on the little streams, and it can handle the big brookies easily!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks Betty. That sounds like one I'd like to try. I haven't build a rod in quite a while and have been thinking about it lately - especially with the 90*+ temps around here the last week and a half.

donald

+ Reply to Thread