+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grandkids fly rods

Hybrid View

Default grandkids fly rods

Ok, I have finally found the fly rods for my grandkids. It's the eagle claw 6'6" 3-4 wt or the 4-5 wt, which ever I can find. I saw one last weekend at the local sports store then found I could order some from another. What do you folks think? Now these guys are just starting to have some fun. They will be 2 next month but grandpa is starting them early. Oh, by the way, I a need 5 of these things so cost is alittle something to think about. I also need 5 battenkill II reels. Anybody have any idea where a granpa should start looking for these? Thanks all.

Have you ever thought about Tenkara fly rods? Chris Stewart (FAOL sponsor) sells some that are ideal for kids. Prices will be lower, not having a reel to buy.

Bob9

Blog Entries

Check Walmart. That is where I got one of those in a 5/6 for my grandkids to use. Those little rods are a kick to cast! Kids seem to pick it up naturally. At least my grand kids did. Most of them cast better than I do!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

2? That is a bit young. Makes me wonder if their muscles will be developed enough to hold something that long, not to mention their coordination. Unless of course teaching them to fly cast/ fish is not the goal here.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I bought my granddaughter a Cabela's Cahill outfit; rod, reel loaded with WF line ,backing and even a leader. 59 bucks with free shipping. Actually it was on sale for around $40 when I bought it. I'm pretty sure her's is a 4wt but in the catalog it looks like it's only available in 5 or 6wt. Pretty hard to beat that for the money, and it actually casts pretty well!
    Last edited by Prairieschooner; 02-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

The Battenkill reels are an Orvis product and available directly from Orvis or an Orvis Dealer. The Battenkill Bar Stock sick drag reel has been in production a for a good number of years and retails for $145.

The new Orvis Battenkill click/pawl reels will not start shipping from Orvis for a couple of months and when available will retail for $98. They are not even on the Orvis website yet.

I was wrong; Gracie's outfit is an 8'6" 5wt. Still a heck of a deal for what you get IMHO. And another MHO, Battenkill reels are too good for little kids unless you have a lot more money than you need.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Just a question because I'm planning on getting a similar type set-up for my grandson. At what age do you think a child has the muscular strength, ability, coordination, and other traits to actually begin fly casting? Now I'm not talking about just getting the child to cast 1 time. I mean the ability to spend more than 1 or 2 minutes casting?

Allan

In my experience, it has much less to do with muscular strength, coordination, etc. than with attention span. And fly fishing moving waters will take much longer attention spans than dropping bait off a dock with a bobber.

Get one for yourself, too! Put a Pfleuger Medalist on that sucker and get after it. Those are fantastic rods!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread