Thread: grandkids fly rods

Threaded View

+1 on starting them with a Tenkara rod & line. Easy to cast - weights < 1.2 ounces total - short - easy to handle. I wish I had access to Tenkara when my boys were young.

As far as what age - it's not about age - it's about desire on the part of the child to learn. Let them set the pace and duration - and leave your rod at home when you go fishing / teaching.

Don't forget to teach about bugs and water and ecology - make it FUN and they'll want to come back with you.

I bought a microcope and brought it to the stream and we'd sample water - look a leaves, etc under the scope and before we knew it - a whole afternoon was gone and some of it was fishing - but it was all good times. My sons (now 22 and 25) still talk about doing "stream research".

Oh - and if they bring home a crayfish - don't forget it in the container....they tend to stink after a day or three.....
    Last edited by SonOfMartin; 02-21-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.