+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Many of You Sell Your Flies?

Quote Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
    Why do you ask ????
    My daughter is doing a school project on home type businesses & she thought that the tackle crafting market would be a cool subject that none of her other classmates would choose.

AlanB Guest

Currently as a side business, I also have a day job (which is taking over more than I ever intended it to). In the past I have done it full time. Its a hard way to make a living, but I've done worse! If I can give you any specific information to help with your daughters project I will.
    Cheers,
    A.

I sell a few flies and a few more crappie jigs... and never for much more than materials and shipping cost. Just a good way to get the next order of materials paid for!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

I give away some flies to fishing buddies and people I run into on the stream. I also barter with flies occasionally -- eg, trade flies for leaders -- and I sometimes donate fly boxes to worthy fundraising causes. But no selling for me that would take would make it a job.

I don?t sell them but truly enjoy giving many of them to my friends or people I meet on the river who are struggling with a fly that simply isn?t going to work.

I don't sell any. I've found that making money off of something I love tends to make me start regarding it as a "job". That being said, I do give quite a few away. Those I give away go mostly to the four or five guys I fish with, but when I see someone on the stream that appears to be new to fly fishing, I'll often offer them a few flies that have been producing for me that day.
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I don't sell my files. I don't wan't to deal with the Federal Excise Tax as well as the assorted other taxes I would need to deal with such as Sales Tax, etc.

However I have traded flies for fly rods, fly reels, trips (provide flies instead of boat fuel), conventional lures, rods, and reels, lines, books, meals, etc.

I do not sell any flies. Like others I share and traid or make for those that can't.

This may help your daughter. I buy less than one percent of the flies I use which
    would account for 3 flies a year.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Like most have stated, I do not sell any flies. I do a lot of tying since I teach fly tying to the boys at Arrowhead Ranch plus I teach fly tying to disabled vets at the local VA Hospital, but, I do not tie flies to sell. I give a lot of flies away to others on the river plus I do some tying for the local fly shop on a "as needed" request, but, just run a store credit for those which is mostly used for fly tying material.

I would much rather tie when I want to instead of tying because I have to. My fly tying is my stress reliever, hobby and something I can do to release creative energy and I would not want it turned into a "job".
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

i do store credit as well, the barter system is the way to go it seems. i have a few "customers," they ask for small orders like a dozed pink lady's for next October .. i am apparently too generous with my flies though, i usually just give them the order... they are usually a simple tie, and i cant justify charging for them... i end up getting "donations," they usually insist on covering the cost of materials at least.
    -spoof
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

+ Reply to Thread