+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass Rod?

Hybrid View

Default Bass Rod?

I'm thinking of getting a new bass rod. I currently fish with an original Orvis Clearwater 9ft 6wt with a Rio Coldwater Clouser line. I love the rod and love the action for smaller bass flies, but the larger flies are wearing me out. I was thinking of a faster action 7wt - I'll interject here that I've had an 8wt before and it was just pure overkill...I really wore myself out fishing with it.

So, what fast action 7wts are out there that you would recommend...say under $400 bucks? I can't swing the cost of a SAGE One rod or something like that.

Thanks.

I cast the TFO Hawgleg rod at the Cincinnati Fly Fishing Show a couple of weeks ago. I am not a fan of fast rods, but I was impressed. I am thinking about getting one for my self. They hve 2 models, a7/8 wt and a 9/10 wt. I cast the 7/8 wt. The only thing that I did not like was the HUGE stripper guides. I think the first one was a
    about a size 20 and the next one was about a 16. It cast like a rocket(at least for me), and I think it will be perfect for largemouth fishing on some of the lakes I go to. Should also work well for chasing carp in the local rivers.

By the way, they are only availabe at Bass Pro. At $149.00, I believe it will be a good buy.

http://www.basspro.com/Temple-Fork-O...1201040501122/

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I love my Sage 790 RPL and wouldn't swap it for a brand new Sage rod. That being said, there are a number of used Sage 7wt rods on ebay that you might want to take a look at. One in particular is this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sage-Smallmo...item43b8b0f220 which should do a great job at what you're looking for. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
    So, what fast action 7wts are out there that you would recommend...say under $400 bucks?
    In that price range, there are plenty. I'd probably start with a TFO -- maybe a BVK or a TiCr X.

I can recommend the TFO BVK. The 5wt casts some of the bigger bass bugs I use pretty well, and catches 27" carp just fine also. I got a 6wt for Christmas that will improve on that. I can only imagine the 7wt might be exactly what you're looking for. $250 just about everywhere.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

TFO Mini Mag 6-8 lined with a WF 8 or WF 9 line. Pleasant to use all day. Great rod for $200 with lots of muscle in the utt section. It is heavy on the scale but the 8' length results in a lighter swing weight compared to longer rods. I prefer my Sage BASS rods but they cost much more. If I didn't have the Sage rods I would have the Mini Mags.

Also look at the Redington Predator, Ross Flystik.

I have used several 7wts and have always uplined to a 9wt line for bass bug fishing at distances of less than 50ft. The heavier line helps carry bulky flies without as much effort by the angler. The secret to the Sage bass rods effectiveness is really the heavy line included with the rod.

I have 2 Redington Predators,a 6wt & an 8wt.The 6 gets fished a lot and its really a 7wt rod,just doesnt load with a 6 line.I throw poppers up to about a 1/0 with no problems.It is light,fast and has plenty of power in the butt to pull fish out of the pads.Definately worth taking a look at.

The BPS in Atlanta has a President Day sale starting 2/22 with a TFO Signature in 5-6- 8 wts. reduced from $149 to $79. It's probably the best deal on a TFO I have seen in a couple of years. I would expect the store in Flowood to have the same deal.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I use the TFO Ticr x rods. Good price, nice action (for me). Warranty and service are excellent. Had a guide come loose on one. Had it back in 3 days. Never a problem since. I have them in 7,8, and 9. A pro series in 6. They work very well one line size over the list, but maybe that's just me. My 8 is my favorite, bass to bones, this thing is a cannon and has the backbone needed to horse them when necessary. All are heavier than the same class BVK's, but I'm confident that when I need to jerk something out of the sticks, it won't break. The 7 works just as well with bass flies and is a great stick, I just prefer the 8. I had the opportunity to lawn cast at the shop against some of the other brands, and this just worked better for me.

check out the Albright site. Always good rods on sale.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

+ Reply to Thread