+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bass Rod?

check out the Albright site. Always good rods on sale.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

2. Default

Hi Guys. I fish bass alot, mostly from shore. typically I catch almost all my fish either within the first 2-3 strips of line or right when the fly is at shore- just as I am getting to recast. I also fish big flies. most of my flies for bass are 3-5" long. My advise - over line your 6wt with a 7wt bass taper. The Bass tapers on the market today all come in at close to 190+ grains....heavy front loaded lines that toss bass flies with ease. I would not spend the extra $$ on any rod, till you try this 1st. If you don't like it....you can always go and spend the extra $$ on a 7wt rod....your already looking in that direction..so buy the line 1st and give it a shot.

~WES

If you want to have alot of fun, but not worried about winning any distance tournaments, find your self an old Fenwick FF85 or FF858 (8 1/2' 8wts). The rod will easily throw an 8wt line for easy turnover of the big nasty bugs, yet will flex deeply with even a 10" bass on the line! You should be able to find a good Fenwick glass rod in excellent to mint condition for under $150. Glass puts the fun back in bass fishing, and it you let the rod load, it will be alot easier on your arm and shoulder at the end of the day compared to a similar graphite rod.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

This may have been stated but get out to the shops, clubs, a friends house whatever and cast as many different brands as possible and see what you like not what we like. We all have our own casting style and some rods are better suited to it. We all could go on and on about what brands and models we like but we are not you. Most of the rod manufactures are putting out some great rods for well under 400 bucks. Look the companies warranty over pretty good some like St. Croix have been going down hill for a time and I would never recommend them but again that is just my 2cents worth..
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

I just picked up a "new" 9' Winston BiiX 7wt on the bay for under $350; it's a demo model, cast some but never been fished. I already have this rod in 6wt and really like it, so I'd been looking for a 7. I think Winston terms these rods fast action, but I'm not a fan of fast rods and would term this maybe more medium fast. I guess my point is there are some decent buys out there on new or nearly new rods.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I agree with with fifasoccer if you have not tried a bass taper line you might want to try one first. Don't know about over lining it though.

Knucks

Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    This may have been stated but get out to the shops, clubs, a friends house whatever and cast as many different brands as possible and see what you like not what we like. We all have our own casting style and some rods are better suited to it. We all could go on and on about what brands and models we like but we are not you. Most of the rod manufactures are putting out some great rods for well under 400 bucks. Look the companies warranty over pretty good some like St. Croix have been going down hill for a time and I would never recommend them but again that is just my 2cents worth..
    So, you're going to bash St. Croix on every thread now? Give it a rest.

+ Reply to Thread