+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Out With The Old, In With The New

Default Out With The Old, In With The New

Lately I have been going through a yearly ritual I do every year at this time: As the new fly fishing catalogs come in by snail mail, I pull and put the old ones into the recycling bin. So far I have received Cabela's, L.L.Bean's, The Fly Shop's, and just the other day the Feather-Craft 2013 Fly Fishing Bulletin Catalogs. Having no lack of fly rods in both Western and fixed line Tenkara styles, my primary interestes these days mostly relates to the fly tying materials sections of the catalogs. However, I do check out the tackle sections just to see if Tenkara fly fishing is moving into the mainstream. And low and behold in a black and white smaller format addition to the regular Feather-Craft Bulletin Catalog is single page section labled "SPECIAL FLY SISHING . FLY TYING ITEMS" under which Temple Fork Outfitters "Soft Hackle Tenkara" Rods are listed for sale, with a brief description of the Tenkara technique and the two different rod models stats and prices listed. Reference is also made to a Tenkara DVD being offeref for sale on page 41 - Tying Tenkara Flies: Volume One. Besides Orvis offering TUSA's 12 foot Iwana rod, lines and flies package, this is another main stream Tenkara fly fishing addition being made by a mainstream company and besides Blue Ribbon Flies, which Yvon Chouinard, Patagonia Company founder and Tenkara fly fishing promotor, has had an active role and association with promoting as well. I have not received my 2013 Catalog from blue Ribbon Flies yet this year. I just thought anglers here might be interested in this small Tenkara step being taken toward mainstream fly fishing Tenkara recognition and acceptance. The fact that Tenkara's US acceptance is slowly progressing at a steady pace is incouraging in my view. Fads, generally have a rapid rise, a leveling off period, and fall as fast or faster as they increase in popularity. While I don't think Tenkara fly fishing will ever replace Western fly fishing in America, I do believe it will earn a lasting place in our nation's fly fishing history as another of fly fishing's useful tools.
    Last edited by Golden; 02-14-2013 at 04:36 PM.

I get the appeal of the Tenkara method but there is nothing better to me than fly casting. It's a magical dance.

Rockthief, I am a little confused by your statement that, somehow, Tenkara fly fishing does not involve fly casting? The casting is pretty much the same, only with more wrist movement and less hammer the nail forearm movement. Fly casting is just as big a part of Tenkara fly fishing as it is for any other kind of fly fishing. Certainly more so than with high stick or Czech nymph style fly fishing techniques. Granted the light weight FC level and tapered lines are a lot harder to see in the air because they are so thin in diameter, but the HiVis Tenkara Level and Tapered FC Lines pretty well solve that problem for most people, and the Furled Tapered Lines are easily to very easy to see in the air. And Rigs Fly Shop also offers a couple of Level Floating Tenkara Fly Lines, with a HiVis tippet transition sections the tippet is looped on to, that's only a little less visible than a standard floating fly lines are on the water or in the air because of its thinner (0.24) diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
    I get the appeal of the Tenkara method but there is nothing better to me than fly casting. It's a magical dance.
    Hey, Rocktheif, you've got a good thing going for you. Hang onto your rod and reel. If you are ever inclined to have a go with string on the end of a stick, you can always give tenkara a try. Until then, continue to happily use your drag, mend your line, and crank away.

I just received a copy of the 2013 Madison River Fishing Company's Fly Fishing Catalog, and they are also stocking Temple Fork's "Soft Hackle" Tenkara Fly Rods, but with out all the additional support information and tackle items that Feather-Craft Fly Fishing is offering to its customers. Here is a partial quote from the MRFC catalog: "The latest rage! Tenkara fishing is sweeping the fly fishing world. TFO's "Soft Hackle" tenkara style rods are perfect for minimalist fishing in smaller streams and rivers. There is no reel and no guides involved, just a short "fly line" from 12 to 20 feet attached to the tip. Pin-point accuracy and control are what makes tenkara style fishing so attractive...." This is just another example of Tenkara style fishing's slow but steady movement toward acceptance into the mainstream of our American fly fishing culture.

It's funny how tenkara is supposed to be so new here. growing up and fishing the broadhead in Pa. I used to watch a few guys do the same thing with a long (16' ?) pole with a tapered leader same length or longer and just dap the water with flies. They also swam wets through the stream as well. I guess nothing is new anymore.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Folks that associate and speak of Tenkara with "sticks, string, pole" associations obviously lack historical knowledge of fly fishing as it originally was practiced before the "reel" was even invented. Nor have they ever felt a tenkara rod never mind cast a fly with one. It amazes me that folks open their mouths to display their lack of knowledge (ignorance) regarding tenkara. No tenkara is not new and to the best of my knowlege is not being purported to be however it is a new technique that was formerly unknown to many fisherman in the west. Aparently it is still new to fisherman on this forum because the comment of tenkara being likened to pole fishing et shows they have no clue about tenkara. I suppose you could take a cane pole tape a real to it wrap some eyes on it and fly fish with about the same effect you could use the same pole for tenkara. Well as they say ignorance is bliss. Of course you stand the chance of folks snickering behind your back. But hey some like me just don't give a damn what other people think so maybe those that disparage tenkara because of misinformation or maybe they just have imense charachter defects as to intentionaly disparage tenkara just don't give a damn about what other people think as well.

I love my eastern and western fly rods. Some give me tha ability to fish western style with a reel attached others give me the ability to fish eatern style without a reel.

You children play nice now see ya on the stream.

Here we go again.....We have those that only fish with bamboo, those that only fish with graphite, those who only fish with fiberglass and now those that only fish with Tenkara. Why does each group have to try and convince the other groups that their way is the only way? Why can't we all just go fly fishing with whatever we want and get the most enjoyment out of and let others to do the same.

Hopefully, warmer weather will arrive and everyone will just go fishing..........
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I also have been reduced to scratching my head in wonderment by some of the comments I read made by people who I suppose are looking in on this board or reading it for the first time, also because of the almost total lack of knowledge or understanding of things Tenkara. From my own perspective, I believe you (whoever you are and regardless of your preferences and biases in tackle and fishing methods) have every right to fish in any way you please. I put things up on this board for the anglers here who are interested in Tenkara style fixed line fly fishing. I am in no way trying to convert the world to become Tenkara anglers. I believe we already have too many people fishing. But in the spirit of hopefully increasing understanding among non-Tenkara anglers, for what it may be worth here is a link to a comparison made between Tenkara and Cane Pole Fishing: http://www.tenkaratalk.com/2013/01/t...-pole-fishing/

The "Out With The Old In With The New" did not refer to any particular style of fishing but replacing the last year's old angling catalogs with this year's new angling catalogs. I thought that was pretty selfevident but, perhaps I should have made that more clear I in the title. I had no intntion of offending anyone and I apologise to anyone my misguided title migh have offended....sorry, Golden.
    Last edited by Golden; 03-08-2013 at 07:59 PM.

You did not offend me that's for sure I knew what you were talking about. I was only responding to the ignorant, comments that followed your post my friend. I don't personally think you owe anyone an apology as nothing you posted is offensive.

+ Reply to Thread